No announcement yet.

MKVIII Electric Dual Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason the markviii fan is considered the fan to have (be it here, or in the generals world) is that this fan moves the most air of any electric fan. Other fans may do the job as well, but they don't move as much air, be it single or dual fan setups.
    Also be aware if you go to the markviii fan, you will need a good alternator and an extremely heavy duty relay to control it.
    I do not remember specifics, but the fan will pull at startup in excess of 50amps, and running full speed it is also sucking back the juice at a rate that will make most generic fan relays short lived.

Alex.

Comment

You really do have to use the right fuse and 10 ga. wire with the Mark fan. I burned a relay and the wire with it hooked up to the high speed wire with 14 ga. wire. Didn't blow the 30 amp fuse, don't realy understand that. I have it on the low speed now and it works OK.
      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Most of the cars at the JY I go to are missing their fans and shrouds when they're separate pieces. I have to get back there one of these days and mess with relocating the ECM anyway. Hopefully I'll find a car that still has the fan intact so I can get the engine info.

Packman

Comment

4.6 Cougers and Tbirds also have an extremely similar fan to the Mark VIII fan. They're all very decent units and will move more than enough air for you.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Re Scott's comment from a while back, how thick is the Mark VIII fan assembly overall?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'm using the Mark VIII fan with a two row radiator, the bolts holding the water pump pulley nicked the motor casing in one small spot when i first installed it, but it's settled in now and works fine. I'm running a 3g alt too, I'd say that is a must, it draws a lot of power when it kicks on. I'll try and remember to measure how thick it is when i go out to the garage next.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Hm, interesting. Sounds then like I should have a similar experience, as I'm pretty sure Greg told me this is a 2-row radiator. Good thing I've already gotten myself a replacement 3G alternator.

Now he'll probably chime in and remark that it's a 3-row. =

Do the Taurus fans draw appreciably less current?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

My fan is loud. It doesn't sound broken or anything, just loud as hell. This Taurus fan swap seems like a good idea - How difficult is it to do?
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    Hm, interesting. Sounds then like I should have a similar experience, as I'm pretty sure Greg told me this is a 2-row radiator. Good thing I've already gotten myself a replacement 3G alternator.

Now he'll probably chime in and remark that it's a 3-row. =

If that would be the case, then the question is what electric fans will fix behind a three-row radiator.

That's what I just had put in...

sigpic
                    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

i used a large single fan from a MK VIII.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

Not really. I think its the same motor, but a slightly smaller blade assembly. Still pulls stupid current though. I believe I measured mine on high over 20 amps.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X