Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Dew Wipe Replacement Thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to leech everything off of photobucket and put it on GMN except the video and DSC02124-1.jpg. The first post is almost completely fixed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I am getting my aluminum foil hat on.........
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        I am getting my aluminum foil hat on.........
        People are watching you...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Photobucket let me get the last pic finally. Only the video is dead.

Comment

Video only showed the viewers the flexibility of the new rubber as the window went up and down into the door.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ok. I'll stop messing with it now.

Comment

Thank you, this thread is usable again! Great write up 87gtVIC

Comment

RockAuto no longer has stock on this item; it's possible that might be a temporary thing of course, but has anyone found a reliable source that isn't either JC Whitney (who no longer sells it) or RockAuto (who is currently out of stock)?

Current driver: Ranger
                  Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                  | 88 TC | 91 GM
                  Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                  Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Try Repops. They may not have it, but they are sometimes willing to make stuff for you. The set for my Continental was a free sample. I sent a complete set from one side of the car, interior and exterior, and they sent me back all 4 doors cut and fit. I went through one of their distributors so I don't have a contact direct with them, but when I called them up asking about it they seemed willing to talk.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I updated the sources thread with every source I could find on-line. NFC if they are Canada friendly. Some have stock currently, though I would call as they don't list the unit length in the ads.
                      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...w-wipe-sources

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Try Repops. They may not have it, but they are sometimes willing to make stuff for you. The set for my Continental was a free sample. I sent a complete set from one side of the car, interior and exterior, and they sent me back all 4 doors cut and fit. I went through one of their distributors so I don't have a contact direct with them, but when I called them up asking about it they seemed willing to talk.
                        Interesting thought, worth a look. Mind you, the stuff on my car is so trashed it doesn't contact the glass at all anymore. Not the best reference point.

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        I updated the sources thread with every source I could find on-line. NFC if they are Canada friendly. Some have stock currently, though I would call as they don't list the unit length in the ads.
                        http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...w-wipe-sources
                        Thanks, scoped those out.
                        I don't think length is an issue because the part number is inherently a package of 2, of 48" each. That's my take anyway.

Pseudo-Edit: maybe not. went back and found the email when I bought some from JC Whitney a long time ago (and still have it, in as-new condition, but I now have more than one car needing it...). Description was "Fairchild Industries Belt Weatherstrip Seal, Sold Individually", and I purchased quantity "2" at US$19.45/ea.

Taking a guess... 1369 is the design/style, -4 denotes 48", and x2 (when present, such as at RockAuto) denotes the set of 2. JCW sold it as FAI13694.

Availability footnotes...
                        AutoPartsWarehouse and PartsTrain will only ship to USA (APW will ship to Canada for various products, but not this one, likely due to its length).
                        Autoplicity will ship to Canada but does not have stock on this item.

I am in a fairly unique position where I'm not affected by the border, though. I have a US address at my disposal and it's a 20 minute drive to be in your country.

I shot a quick email over to Fairchild asking if the product is still manufactured. It's quite possible it may not be and this is all just residual inventory bleeding off, and once it's gone, it's gone. It's unusual for it to be out of stock at RockAuto for so long, I've been watching for a while...well over a year. I'll report my findings.
                        Last edited by kishy; 06-14-2018, 05:02 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

Bah... and humbug if it is indeed not made any more.

Comment

well, someone is making the material. I'm pretty certain Repops isn't making their own rubber, just cutting it to fit from lengths of bulk stuff. The other usual suspects are probably doing the same.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Potential new source:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...04#post1921904
                              ~David~

Comment

Looks like that might be a good option for the Wagon tailgate interior dew wipe as well because of the length. I wonder if the weatherstrip at the roof/top can also be made to work.
                                1986 Country Squire
                                1969 Mercury Cougar
                                1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

Working...
                                X