Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Dew Wipe Replacement Thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great. I didn't know it was called a 'dew wipe'. Just the 'cracked window squeegee' material.

My tudor also has that and I thought I was up the creek. Now we are saved!
    I was also wondering why they made it so short as to let the water into the door. But alas, it must've shrunk.

Can the staples be reused. Maybe staples from a staple gun - like the one Pergaments used to sell with the spring-loaded handle. Can shoot staples like 10 feet.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

i replaced a set last year on a crown vic two door.....i drilled small holes and reused all the staples and clips.....i used style 43 from jc whitney......sorry no pics.....they are lost

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I am sure you can use a powerful staple gun but you would then have to fold the staple ends over. Lincolnmania has the idea with just drilling holes for the staples and pushing them through.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I am sure you can use a powerful staple gun but you would then have to fold the staple ends over. Lincolnmania has the idea with just drilling holes for the staples and pushing them through.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Is there a thread on the window channel felt stuff?
            Mine is falling apart.
            sigpic
            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
            COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Yes! Start reading from this page. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...t=27305&page=5

Tell you what...get all of the materials together and we can knock it out in a couple of hours one day.
              ~David~

Comment

Would the dew wipe trim from an '88-'91 CV or MGM work on the '79-'87 boxes? I'm thinking of nabbing the dew wipes off of the few '88 and '90 MGMs at the junkyard and rebuilding them like you did. Then install them on the CV.

Packman

Comment

The doors are almost exactly the same .... the only difference I'm aware of is the hole where the door wires pass through being a different size on later cars. And '79 did get a groove around the window frame for the extra brightwork to sit more flush.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks 1987cp! Time to go JY picking.

Packman

Comment

Yeah. I'd say they are the same because all of the doors interchange no problem.
                      ~David~

Comment

The whole belt molding including the dew wipes never changed from 79 to 91. The front doors on cars with vent windows have their own belt moldings with a shorter dew wipe.

Comment

Okay, the 88-91 dew wipe thing didn't pan out. For the last couple of years the JY I go to has been crushing the box Panthers. There are only a few left in the yard and they're in rough shape. There is one Country Squire that is in the back with good dew wipes. The metal is faded, but perhaps it can be polished or re-chromed. So my question is; are the doors off of the wagons the same as the 4-door CVs and MGMs?

Packman

Comment

Yes.
                            Wagons and sedans have the same doors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Awesome!!! I gotta read up on this again and get those dew wipes. Thanks slymer

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                                Yes.
                                Wagons and sedans have the same front doors.
                                Didn't think anyone would misunderstand, but always good to be precise.
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X