Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Dew Wipe Replacement Thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the rear doors were the same too... what's different about them?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

We had Moby done, paint job, rust fixed, and undercoated I bought the dew wipes that you showed at the beginning of the thread and the guy who did the car said they couldn't change them out. They wouldn't fit. That's frustrating.
      "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

Comment

He probably wouldn't make the angles work, you have to do some custom bending around the 90 degree angles. they will fit otherwise
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by papawto8 View Post
          We had Moby done, paint job, rust fixed, and undercoated I bought the dew wipes that you showed at the beginning of the thread and the guy who did the car said they couldn't change them out. They wouldn't fit. That's frustrating.
          He is mistaken or lazy. My dew wipe is 100% identical to yours in every way shape and form...Mines just longer. He needs to use his head a bit more.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          He probably wouldn't make the angles work, you have to do some custom bending around the 90 degree angles. they will fit otherwise
          Dew wipes not window channel moldings.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

whoops! too much wine last night
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              I thought the rear doors were the same too... what's different about them?
              The window frame. The rear pane on the wagon rear doors is pretty close to rectangular; on a sedan it's closer to triangular. This was the cause of me banging my head several times immediately after acquiring my late 4-door, as the C pillar of course extended forward into what I was used to being empty space!
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Does anyone have an updated link where to buy the dew wipe? Mine are shot and I'm looking to replace them. The JC Whitney link seems to be dead and my searching isn't turning up any results. Thanks!

Edit: My friend was actually able to find it. Here's the updated link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/fairchild-i...6y1983g781u0j1

Name: FAIRCHILD INDUSTRIES GLASS WEATHERSTRIP SEAL
                SKU #: JCW-819751
                Manufacturer #: 1369-4
                Brand: Fairchild Industries

JC Whitney refers to it as belt weatherstripping.
                Last edited by slack; 11-05-2013, 12:18 PM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Thanks. I updated the front page with the new link.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Has anyone purchased these dew wipes from a place other than JC Witney? They want 36 bucks for shipping to Canada which I think is kinda steep.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                      Has anyone purchased these dew wipes from a place other than JC Witney? They want 36 bucks for shipping to Canada which I think is kinda steep.
                      RockAuto carries them in packs of 2, and 2 orders (4 strips) is only a couple bucks more to ship than a single order. I'd go in on at least 1 order if you want to split shipping. Ideally, I'd want 2 or 3 orders since my '77 and '78 Lincolns could use new strips along with my Tudor.
                      RyPow
                      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                      2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                      1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                      2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                      2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
                        RockAuto carries them in packs of 2, and 2 orders (4 strips) is only a couple bucks more to ship than a single order. I'd go in on at least 1 order if you want to split shipping. Ideally, I'd want 2 or 3 orders since my '77 and '78 Lincolns could use new strips along with my Tudor.
                        What are they listed under?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                          What are they listed under?
                          Go to Part Number Search, Fairchild 1369-4
                          RyPow
                          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

2 strips will do 1 car. 2 door or 4 door. I made the mistake of buying 4 strips. Though now I have a set to replace the wipes on my 92 Mark VII.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              2 strips will do 1 car. 2 door or 4 door. I made the mistake of buying 4 strips. Though now I have a set to replace the wipes on my 92 Mark VII.
                              Unless you cut too short the first time like I did.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I greatly enjoyed this thread!..........your "dew-wipe" is called an outside w/s by Studebaker, and let me tell you when I replaced the two on the Avanti, I had to fully disassemble the entire door window run and partially remove the vent window........was a full day 'adventure'

Love what you were able to do Dave......wanna come to NYC and do my Tudor

Comment

Working...
                                X