Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Dew Wipe Replacement Thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So take #2 and I found the artists rendition of the door - in the Ford shop manual (big black binder) - to remove the air vent window unit. I had to re-read the directions aloud several times as I was trying to figure out a) the diagrams and b) how the directions or diagrams didn't match my car.

It said to remove the window regulator bolts to the inner door panel. Well, there is no regulator mount, just some punch-outs in the metal where it should be.
    Screw #2 to remove the external dew wipe is holding the bottom of the vent window in its place, then remove the rubber "gusset", regulator (coiled spring) and ease the whole assembly out with soapy water.

I stopped once I realized what it was asking to do. It was asking to lower the door window all the way, and to shift the metal window channel between the vent and the main window a bit to angle out the vent rubber. I'll wait for next week to tackle this. I wonder what else differs from the manual.

The same shop manual mentions two CV models, "Lo" and "K" models.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-19-2328.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1280332Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-19-2327.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1280333

Found screw #3 behind the vent window rubber. You can see that the factory skewed the screw install. The other pic shows the vent window is pulled away.
      I followed the book and used sudsy water to slide the rubber bits back in -- sadly since I could not locate a needle-nose pliers or any pliers (family history, my tools are at my apt). I put everything back together.
      sigpic
      302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

Ah. They screwed you.

Mine was accessible through the hole just below where your screw is located. Looks like they installed that one much further up and like you mentioned covered it with the vent window.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
          Hi Man,

Long time. I sorta dropped off the map for a while, but decided to bite the bullets of replacing the window channel and dew wipes.
          I did the window channel for the right door and it was fairly easy to do. Sure the old felted rubber broke into many pieces, yet also learned a bit how the factory "cut corners" and injected epoxy to fill gaps. I used a razor blade.

The dew wipe is a different story, perhaps at this point solely a preface. The this screw to be located closest to the door hinge is not where it is supposed to be in my mind. I attached a video to show that the screw is approx 1/2" askew and what looks like is behind a heavy piece a rubber for the vent window. I put quite a bit of force on the driver shaft to lift up on the hard rubber.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...GppdDNZRjU3UFE

So...I can check my factory shop manual for the vent takeapart unless there is another way.

Thanks,
          Mike
          use a screwdriver bit and a wrench, or a real stubby screwdriver.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

david

i'm real late for this party, i did not use machine screws and buts, i drilled small holes and i reused the factory staples, worked like a charm!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'd go that way if I ever need to do it again. No extra pieces needed makes for an easier/more cost friendly job. One also need not worry about scratching the window with the nuts and bolts as the staples will be much flatter!
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Name:	2016-06-25-2357.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1280381Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-25-2355.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1280382Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-25-2352.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1280383Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-25-2350.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1280384Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-25-2351.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1280385Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-25-2354.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1280386

I used 1/8 x 1/8" pop rivets, drilling one of the two original staple holes.
                Did not use clips, but have them for whenever.

The wipe doesn't sit like the original, but I guess it is better than being a sieve for earthy detritus.
                And btw, I had grade-A top soil at the bottom of the door, causing pitting.
                sigpic

Comment

Looks good to me.

Mine are still going string however many years later it is now. Still nice and pliable.

Also, I wish I had random rabbits watching me work.
                  ~David~

Comment

Update.....

It appears as if JC whitney has not been offering this material for quite some time now. Some research later and rock auto comes to the rescue!

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/fai...per+seal,12406

I have also updated the original post to include this information.
                    ~David~

Comment

I bought the original stuff you had linked when I first read the thread a few years back...it's still in the box in my basement.
                      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

No rush I see Tom. lol

Just to be clear the new stuff and old stuff is exactly the same, just a new distributor or middle man.
                        ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          No rush I see Tom. lol
                          Pretty much. I bought it so I wouldn't need to search for what fits when I needed it.
                          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I have the same problem on my Colony park!, and this post was very useful, despite the way to remove the chromed trim is quite different to the first post. I found a similar rubber here in Chile to replace the old "dew wipe", but the height of the inner side of the rubber is less than the original, so, I canīt fix it with screws because the surface is in full contact with the glass. I think the better way will be fix the rubber to the trim with some sort of glue, any ideas?

By the way, the rubber of the tailgate is in worst shape, but I donīt know how to remove it or if I could find a replacement. Since the electric window does not work, maybe it could be difficult...

Name:	IMG_20170402_165108033.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1281550

Comment

Thanks for the write up 87gtVIC, would you be able to fix all the photos?

Comment

Maybe one day if I can find them and rehost them.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X