Speaker making cracking sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker making cracking sound?

I have this amplifier installed in my car: http://mobile.jensen.com/jensen/Jens...=POWERPLUS1304

And i have two 6x9 180W jensen speakers in the rear deck lid.

I dont have the bass up at all, and i get this horrible crackling sound at times. It is almost as if the amp is over powering the speaker. What is the problem? and what speaker specification (wattage wise) should i purchase taking into account the amplifier i have? I want to fix this problem so i can turn up the volume without hearing that sound. all help is appreciated.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-29-2009, 03:08 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Uhhhhhhhhh..............yeah. Is this a joke thread?
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

No I am totally serious. I want to know whats up and what one would recommend to me.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Do you have it bridged? Or are you just using 2 channels? Unbridged at 4 ohms it's putting out around 114 Watts X 4. Max output is 325 Watts X 4. But if it's not cranked up I don't see a problem. Check your speakers, they might be blown. Could be a bad connection from the speakers to the amp, or it may be the amp. Try a different set of speakers that are well rated in wattage.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I dont have it bridged i am using just two channels.

One thing i do notice though is that it is only coming from one speaker, the right rear. That speaker was repaired by me. I managed to pull a soldered connection apart so i re soldered it myself. maybe I killed it? Too much resistance or something? I have not a clue.

At low volumes it is fine but once i put it up to 25 or so it starts getting all fucked up but just that one speaker.

How does one check for a dead speaker?

I think i will disconnect that speaker for the ride to school tomorrow and make sure that the left rear speaker is not doing it as well.
          ~David~

Comment

Was the soldered connection one of those exposed braided copper wires? If it is there is a possibility it's touching the cone, causing the noise.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

I dont recall. I will jump outside and check.
              ~David~

Comment

Another thing to try is to reverse the wiring on the speakers, as in wire the right speaker to the left output and the left speaker to the right output on the amp, and see if it still does it in the same speaker or not.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

It was not the little braided copper wire, but the wire from the magnet to the male spade connector (the little one).

I think i may try swapping things now.
                  ~David~

Comment

Sounds like a blown speaker....Thats a lot of power to be pushing some cheapo 6x9s.

And to top it off, if the speaker has broken once, it probably did it again. The tinsel wire becomes much less flexible the more it gets soldered, since it wicks up more solder.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

standard wattage rating is 60 watts on the speakers, 180 peak, peak output of the amp is 325 per channel (4) so I can see it if it were turned up too loud.
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

I swapped amp outputs like you suggested and it is not the amp because with the outputs swapped the same speaker still fucked up. I placed everything back to normal and cranked it higher and the left rear fucks up at a little higher volume than the current fucked up right rear speaker. So id say my right rear speaker is definitely broken and that the speakers in the first place were too cheap to run on my setup.

So what level minimum level wattage should i be in the market for?
                        ~David~

Comment

:bump:
                          ~David~

Comment

Just don't turn the volume over 25. Problem solved.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

You are just like my father Nate. He said the same thing but insisted to add that all i do is drive the car to school and back so whats the point of getting new speakers.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X