Fuel Tank Overpressurizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank Overpressurizing

So here's what's going on: After I fill my tank, I'll drive for a couple miles, and then I'll start smelling gas. I'll go back and look at the gas flap and it will have sprayed fuel all over the place inside the filler flap. I'll pull the gas cap off and a whole bunch of fumes will vent out like the fuel tank is under tons of pressure. But then it won't happen again until I fill the tank again.

Are fuel caps meant to vent pressure at a certain PSI like radiator caps? I'm not sure, but I'm fairly sure that the tank is overpressurizing, rather than the cap being the issue.

Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

check the vapor return soleniod

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Is that the one over between the battery and the fenderwell? Two prong electrical, two rubber hoses, one of which goes to the upper intake? How do I test this?
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

yes
        put power to it and it is supposed to not hold vacuum

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
          Is that the one over between the battery and the fenderwell? Two prong electrical, two rubber hoses, one of which goes to the upper intake? How do I test this?
          yup..

i'm guessing you should be able to apply voltage to it and see if it opens and closes properly... or you could just stand there with your ear up to it and listen for a while

I may be wrong but i believe our gas caps aren't meant to vent, thats the job of the purge solenoid.. it sucks fuel vapors into the intake where they can be burned, so you either have a solenoid issue or a clogged vent line..
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post

I may be wrong but i believe our gas caps aren't meant to vent, thats the job of the purge solenoid.. it sucks fuel vapors into the intake where they can be burned, so you either have a solenoid issue or a clogged vent line..
            Chilton's says this:

Pressure Vacuum Filler Cap

The fuel cap contains an integral pressure and vacuum relief valve. The vacuum valve acts to allow air into the fuel tank to replace the fuel as it is used, while preventing vapors from escaping the tank through the atmosphere. The vacuum relief valve opens after a vacuum of 0.5hg. The pressure valve acts as a backup pressure relief valve in the event the normal venting system is overcome by excessive generation of internal pressure or restriction of the normal venting system. The pressure relief range is 1.6 -2.1 psi. Fill cap damage or contamination that stops the pressure vacuum valve from working may result in deformation of the fuel tank.
            What I figure that to mean is that if the solenoid quits, then the gas cap will vent (albeit rather stinkily and messily) and prevent the fuel tank from blowing up under excess internal pressure.

Comment

thats good to know.. I knew it had vacuum relief but i wasn't aware it had a back up vent.

do you top off your tank alot??
              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

No. I run it down to about a quarter and fill it up. I commute in this car, about 20 miles one way.

Comment

I replaced the purge solenoid and the gas cap. It worked fine for 5-6 tanks of fuel and now it's doing it again. I haven't verified whether the solenoid actually works, but it seems as though it does, since I got almost no hiss every time I pulled the gas cap until recently.

Comment

Did you verify that the hoses running to the purge solenoid aren't plugged?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I have a problem where I can't add fuel too fast or it will choke on itself and spray out everywhere...its lame
                      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                        Did you verify that the hoses running to the purge solenoid aren't plugged?
                        I will add this to the list.

Comment

the vapor line is 1/4 steel and might be rusted shut

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            the vapor line is 1/4 steel and might be rusted shut
                            The vapor line is the one running from the fuel tank to the canister? Forgive my ignorance, I'm not very familiar with the system.

Comment

yes, its the small steel line from the canister back to the tank.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X