Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As I save for my Duals, I'm wondering....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The H-pipe still makes more torque at low rpm, i'll see if I can find the dyno sheet I found.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
      autozone, rock auto, etc
      the stock tails are about 30 ea
      the stock h pipe is about 80 bucks at autozone
      stock replacement mufflers are about 40 ea
      you will need two hangers also for the drivers side 10 bucks
      clamps, gaskets, bolts, 20 bucks
      so yea figure 250 for cat back parts.......if you want to road trip to pa, i'll put it on for 100 bucks
      Hrmm . . wait a minute, are you in two locations? Google maps says Birdsboro is 90 mins from me, but Tremont is 2-1/2 hours away?

That said, are there any sorts of better flowing, but relatively inexpensive mufflers that are more or less a direct fit? I don't know how critical those 2-sides-of-a-triangle thingies on the back of the muffler are to exhaust system support, but it *looks* like it's not a good idea to not have them.

Ugh . . you guys are so evil . . this is money I should NOT be spending!
      1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
      Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
      Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
      Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Hooker has one other then the aero chamber that is straight thru like Magnaflow, Cherry Bomb has the Vortex(not V-baffle) that sounds great, at least on the Chevy I heard. Those are the 2 I would look into personally. I know the Vortex had a VERY smooth tone while not being unbelieveably loud on that chev.
        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by King_V View Post
          Hrmm . . wait a minute, are you in two locations? Google maps says Birdsboro is 90 mins from me, but Tremont is 2-1/2 hours away?

That said, are there any sorts of better flowing, but relatively inexpensive mufflers that are more or less a direct fit? I don't know how critical those 2-sides-of-a-triangle thingies on the back of the muffler are to exhaust system support, but it *looks* like it's not a good idea to not have them.

Ugh . . you guys are so evil . . this is money I should NOT be spending!

shop is in tremont and i am here a majority of the time.......technically i live in birdsboro......no i dont have 2 shops lol.......can barely afford to keep one afloat.

yes theres all sorts of inexpensive turbo mufflers, but none have the hanger bracket......no biggie, just need some different universal hangers....factory ones are half shot after 20 yrs anyway

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Though Mustang HO headers to stock H-pipe w/cats and then your dual exhaust (whether it's custom from a shop or stock) should work fine. I used Summit Welded Turbo muffs for the '86 CV. They have rumble to them, but they don't wake up the neighbors in the morning.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              COnverters that are not clogged don't really harm performance, especially on a stock motor. If you're concerned about it, a high flow converter will do the job nicely without affecting the blistering 130 or so horsepower a stock lopo puts to the wheels.
              If they don't really hurt performance, then I'm not really concerned. I was reading some posts somewhere and people were saying our stock cats sucked vs aftermarket hi-flow ones. Just wanted to know if it was true.....glad to know it's not.

I found this post by you and it really made sense to me:

Originally posted by gadget73
              Quite true. On a stock motor, the manifolds really aren't a big choke point. Its the stuff behind the converter thats a bigger issue. The flange at the back of the converter is 2" go a few inches forward and you're looking at 2 1/4" pipe. If the whole exhaust was done in 2 1/4, it would wake things up a fair bit. Just adding a header to stock exhaust does basically nothing.
              This is why I've been concentrating on things after the cats....and not whats in front of them.
              I figure that:
              -As long as I have the stock heads and/or upper intake that headers are probably not worth the effort just yet.
              -The best time to do headers is probably when your swapping heads anyways.

Which only leaves one question........

Would a stock lopo benefit from an X-pipe? (vs an H-pipe)
              Former panther owner
              1981 CV 351 4bbl
              1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                Would a stock lopo benefit from an X-pipe? (vs an H-pipe)
                The only evidence and testing I have found proves that an X-pipe flows and creates better scavenging at higher rpm, the range your lopo should never see unless you drive balls out all the time.

Read these:
                http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....p/exhaust.html
                http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=33539
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                  The only evidence and testing I have found proves that an X-pipe flows and creates better scavenging at higher rpm, the range your lopo should never see unless you drive balls out all the time.

Read these:
                  http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....p/exhaust.html
                  http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=33539
                  Thanks, that was the answer I expected. (but it never hurts to ask)
                  Most of the time I drive it normally.

I find it interesting that in one of those links it mentions that putting the mufflers as far back/rearward as possible is better for flow/perfomance. Now look around at most car exhaust systems (even the mustang).....I see the same trend. I wonder if that's why?

Following that logic......and since I am considering using glasspacks.....I could potentially put them all the way to the back where the tailpipes go under the trunk.

Has anyone ever tried this??
                  Former panther owner
                  1981 CV 351 4bbl
                  1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                    Following that logic......and since I am considering using glasspacks.....I could potentially put them all the way to the back where the tailpipes go under the trunk.

Has anyone ever tried this??
                    I havent seen it done on a panther, but thats where i put the glasspacks on my cadillac. If the putting the muffler as far back in the system as possible is a theory true for all vehicles, then it will work out for you. I cant really say much as to how it will work out on your particular car, since the cadillac had a high revving 300hp engine.

Comment

There's too many people in this thread who have no fucking clue what they are talking about. They know who they are. Hey guys? Leave. Ok, thanks.

Now, carry on.
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

An H pipe serves as a pressure equalizer. An x pipe serves as a pressure equalizer, and a means to merge exhaust flow, which isn't all that crucial on a low output 5.0.

I'd go with an x pipe if you could. Otherwise an h will do fine.

I have dual header back 2.5" pipes on my car, with no crossover at all.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I find it interesting that in one of those links it mentions that putting the mufflers as far back/rearward as possible is better for flow/perfomance. Now look around at most car exhaust systems (even the mustang).....I see the same trend. I wonder if that's why?

Has anyone ever tried this??[/QUOTE]

In a way that makes sense because the exhaust cools and slows as it gets towards the rear of the car giving it more time to exit the muffler. Then again, the reason most are at the rear is probably because that is where most of the space is to mount them due to floor pan design, not for any real performance reason.
                          Last edited by 351m; 07-16-2009, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 351m View Post
                            In a way that makes sense because the exhaust cools and slows as it gets towards the rear of the car giving it more time to exit the muffler. Then again, the reason most are at the rear is probably because that is where most of the space is to mount them due to floor pan design, not for any real performance reason.
                            Well, I was talking to a friend today about it. I know some cars have both mufflers and rear resonators on them. I've seen some lincoln marks that did. Well my friend used to have a caprice with them (uggg....yeah I know)...anyway I asked him if anyone had just replaced the mufflers with straight-pipe.....in essence...making the rear resonators the "mufflers".

The answer I got was "yes", and it worked well both sound and power-wise......BUT, on the highway at certain speeds/rpm there was quite a "buzz" or resonance/drone in the car.

So, I'm still curious about this, but will probably hesitate to try it.
                            Former panther owner
                            1981 CV 351 4bbl
                            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

All those resonators have is a pipe that is perforated in a specific way to tune the sound and stop drone with the factory or replacement exhaust. They are otherwise hollow. Keep in mind that this is knowledge that I gained cutting them apart. If you want to go that route grab some Thrush or Flowtech glasspacks for resonators.

Comment

The placement of the mufflers on most vehicles is done more out of convenience than anything else. They might be most effective far back, but when they designed the exhaust on the Vic, Granny Bluehair didn't give a crap about the small amount of extra power it might provide, so the engineers hung them forward of the axle where a cheap oval muffler would fit nicely. I have no idea if the mufflers are in fact more effective closer to the back, but a whole lot of things are designed with "where is it easiest / cheapest to put this" rather than "where is this ideal".
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X