Mini starter install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini starter install

Most 90's 5.0's and probably other fords use an improved version of our starter commonly referred to as a 'mini' or 'high torque' starter. This improved design turns the motor over faster with less effort and less amps. This will give you more cranks in a dying battery situation, and will make for better starts in general, especially in high compression/advanced timing situations.
    Also with the starter, some have gotten various mid-length headers to fit our cars easier, and I like the way they sound... it makes the 85 feel like a newer car.

I know you can get these off '91 vics and GMQ's, and '90 town cars. They are an easy swap-in with only few wiring modifications.
    I had to grind open the lug a bit on my main starter cable to get it to fit the new one, and of course had to swap the other end of that cable to the hot battery side of the fender solenoid. I harvested a trigger wire from a different donor car, so I had to swap the connector on the starter end to make it work. The donor trigger wire also has a fuse link built in, and its fender solenoid end goes on the switched side of the lugs, where the fat cable used to be.

I am pleased

Attached Files
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Awww, I like the old-school whine of that old starter. I can't change mine just because of that. Also, I like the idea of retaining my solenoid on the fender instead of down at the starter where it can get overheated.

Is there any way you can remove the solenoid from that starter in order to make the package that much smaller? Also, is the bigger starter the only thing stopping people from using mid-length headers?

Comment

I've always wondered about doing this myself.

Honestly, i'd love to have the old school Mopar whiney starter. Those sound cool
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Nice. what a difference it makes.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What a difference indeed... I had noticed it struggling a little since i advanced the timing...now it sometimes starts it on the first revolution it seems.
          Ive never heard of a solenoid overheating due to proximity to exhaust... the only downside is they cost more new, but they are all the same price at the junkyard
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
            I've always wondered about doing this myself.

Honestly, i'd love to have the old school Mopar whiney starter. Those sound cool
            Yes, and you get the fun job of replacing them every couple of years or so! :p

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

My car has 2 solenoids, 1 on the starter, and 1 on the fender.
              Former panther owner
              1981 CV 351 4bbl
              1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

......Boy I wish my car fired off that quik.

I put a new/rebuilt starter on my 91 last month and took pics while I was at it.

Want me to post em'?
                Former panther owner
                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Yep - boxes that used these kept the fender solenoid. The more pics the merrier... I forgot to snap one of this installed
                  sigpic

Comment

i just installed one on my 89 vic......cant take any pics tho cause it's at yucatechs house right now

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'll have my pics up in a bit.
                      Former panther owner
                      1981 CV 351 4bbl
                      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

BTW........I meant to say that my original starter......after 18 years of service sounded as slow as your old one.
                        Needless to say my "new" one spins MUCH faster. (visteon does good rebuilds)

original motorcraft starter from my 91'.

I was soooooooo happy they used some kind of anti-sieze on assembly!
                        Former panther owner
                        1981 CV 351 4bbl
                        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

View of the 91's belhousing area.

Former panther owner
                          1981 CV 351 4bbl
                          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Visteon remanufacured starter.

Last edited by andymac0035; 07-18-2009, 10:17 PM. Reason: typos.......as always.......
                            Former panther owner
                            1981 CV 351 4bbl
                            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

And since I'm being a pic whore tonight........

Favorite way of getting the car up in the air to work on. (wish I had a lift tho)

Former panther owner
                              1981 CV 351 4bbl
                              1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Working...
                              X