No announcement yet.

Mini starter install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once mine goes i will want to upgrade to this but am a little confused.

Scott told me too: run a 12 ga wire from the switched side of the solenoid to the starter solenoid, and move the starter cable to the hot side of the solenoid.

Ok that all sounds good but can someone make up a wiring diagram of the original starter and the new starter?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You've already got a great diagram for the original style starter - that 87 vic parked out in your driveway its just one wire... it should be easier to visualize the changes described while you ate looking at it.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I just put the stock cable back on the hot side, along with a jumper from the hot side of the mini starter to the sol. terminal on it. No changes up on the fender at all.
        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

I will take a look at me car.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
            Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
            Honestly, i'd love to have the old school Mopar whiney starter. Those sound cool
            Yes, and you get the fun job of replacing them every couple of years or so! :p
            Nuh-uh! They work just fine! At least mine did - all I had to do the time it failed was remove it and reinstall it. Didn't actually put a new one in, just took out the old one and stuck it right back in.

Er, make that twice.

On the other hand, my buddy's 74 Coronet with some sort of modern starter on it just sounded so . . unnatural . . missing that typical Mopar whine. It was unnerving, to the point that I thought I might have nightmares.
            1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
            Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
            Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
            Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Originally posted by King_V View Post
              Nuh-uh! They work just fine! At least mine did - all I had to do the time it failed was remove it and reinstall it. Didn't actually put a new one in, just took out the old one and stuck it right back in.

Er, make that twice.

On the other hand, my buddy's 74 Coronet with some sort of modern starter on it just sounded so . . unnatural . . missing that typical Mopar whine. It was unnerving, to the point that I thought I might have nightmares.
              The only thing that ever dies on the mopar starters is the drive and the contacts in the solenoid. Rebuildable in just under 45min.

Comment

It may be easy to visualize the changes, but a few pics of the old and new install or a diagram would make it a lot easier.
                89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                  And since I'm being a pic whore tonight........

Favorite way of getting the car up in the air to work on. (wish I had a lift tho)

I hate ramps.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Once mine goes i will want to upgrade to this but am a little confused.

Scott told me too: run a 12 ga wire from the switched side of the solenoid to the starter solenoid, and move the starter cable to the hot side of the solenoid.

Ok that all sounds good but can someone make up a wiring diagram of the original starter and the new starter?
                    Essentially, with installing a new-style starter, all you are doing is putting both big battery cables on the side of the original old-style solenoid closest to the battery, and simply unplugging the small 'S' wire from the solenoid (it should be marked), extending it, and hooking it up to the 'S' on the new starter.

I've done this over a couple of dozen times with customer vehicles and my own cars over the last decade and a half or so, after mistakenly discovering that the 91-up cars had the small starters....and they worked pretty well with higher-compression engines. I refuse to install an old-style starter, unless the customer is insistent on keeping the old-style in there, as the new-style is simply a better unit.

Comment

Ive heard some folks had trouble if they extend the small solenoid activation wire and hook it into the new starter... the way I and scott described it the way it is from the factory in boxes that have them.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Honestly it ought to work either way. the solenoid on the little starter shouldn't pull any more current than the relay on the fender. I suspect it was left the way it was so that Ford didn't have to re-engineer the wiring harness for one year on a model that was being phased out.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It was done as 85crown and Scott described, It was also done that way on the diesel pickups. It will also work extending the sol. trigger wire or as I said, just swap it and add a jumper on the stater itself.

I can get a pic of the setup I used in the car or, if you like, I can grab a pic of the sol. on a 7.3L pickup.
                          Last edited by 351m; 07-23-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Honestly it ought to work either way. the solenoid on the little starter shouldn't pull any more current than the relay on the fender. I suspect it was left the way it was so that Ford didn't have to re-engineer the wiring harness for one year on a model that was being phased out.
                            Ditto....I've extended the regular trigger wire on every one of these starters that I've retrofitted....I've yet to have a problem.

Comment

Just to bring this full circle...So originally there is a sensor wire on the starter solenoid which is triggered to give power to the stater cable to turn the starter to start the car.

With this new setup the sensor wire triggers another sensor on the new starter to use the power from the constant hot side of the starter solenoid to then start the car. Right?

Old

New

????????????????????????????????????????
                              Attached Files
                              ~David~

Comment

yes. its not a sensor, but you've got the idea right.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X