frame rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frame rot

i had my car on my buddies lift and i noticed that my frame had a decent amount of rought on it. where the frame bends behind the front tires to go along the sides is where the worst of it is. the inside corners are pretty bad.

so i was wondering how much that can affect handling and when its really bad and everythign. i know pictures will help but yea. im gonna see if i can get some patches on it to help but i dont want the frame to fall apart on me.

The passenger-side frame rail rusts near the front because of the A/C system's location...
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Rot.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

+1^
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
        1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
        http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Patch it up as best you can with angle iron, and hope for the best. Bottom line is, it'll never be perfect.

And yes, you're making the word rot far too difficult to spell, lol.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

grind out the rust, and patch it. If possible, do it with the suspension loaded so the car sits normal, but if you can't, just accept the fact that the frame will be very slightly tweaked after the repair. It won't really matter much, but it's not gonna be perfect. If things are moving now, it will affect handling but what really matters is the car can break in half, and thats more badder than lousy handling. Yucatec's wagon broke in half at one point from frame rot. He had the frame swapped.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea a few beers can make you spell wrong. its not bad and i dont think its tweaking at all but it does need to be fixed and i got this kid telling me its gonna fold in half and crap. but yea im gonna try and get it patched soon

Comment

Well how bad is it? Take some pics? I just get this mental image of the rust being all that is holding it together.
                2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
                2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
                1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
                1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

I went to change the brakes on a box towny once and when I jacked it up the mother started folding on me. Couldn't even get the tires off the ground.
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

need detailed pics

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                      When my 89cp slid into a bank I expected to buy a new fender, but the frame was broken and insurance totaled the car. I was wrought! Insurance gave me $2500 and I didn't use the rental coverage/swapped for the title. Rachet, my local genius mechanic, was having a slow winter so I spent the $2500 for a hearse frame and motor rebuild. (I enjoy telling the JIFFELUBE kids, "Don't believe your book. There are 11 grease fittings. The frame's not original."

Didn't think anything more about it until Pete V8 told me he had the same problem with his frame. Could the rot recur on my dead folks' frame?

Yep. The AC drips onto the greasy dirty frame and rusts. I suppose one could keep the frame clean but I ain't gonna and I'd bet most won't.

So I askeed Scott for a mod which he devised. Not much point fixing the rust spots in the paint when the frame is rotting away.

Donald McCaig
                      1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Get some 3/16 steel plate, a grinder and cutoff wheel, some 6010's and a stick welder and patch it up.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
                          yea a few beers can make you spell wrong. its not bad and i dont think its tweaking at all but it does need to be fixed and i got this kid telling me its gonna fold in half and crap. but yea im gonna try and get it patched soon
                          You should not drink and post.

Comment

Yeah it's a... Raw Deal. Ahheehehehee
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

yea it took forever to get pics up but here it is. its not sagging or anything but yea i dont want it to fold on me and idk i find it dumb to continue to try and make the car better if its just gonna fold on me if it gets bad enough. but also idk how bad it needs to be for it to get to that point. when i put jack stands behind the front tires and let the jack down it does start to bend down a bit from the weight hanging over hte stands but i keep my jack there to support it other then that i get nothing else but i know hte back does the same to an extent and all that is fine

Last edited by import convert; 03-16-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X