No announcement yet.

wifes wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That stinks, I also had bad luck with spray-on bedliner, even though I used the same stuff (Duplicolor) they'd used on Car Craft magazine's project El "Cheapo" Camino and said it worked great.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i believe that is what we used and GoodSamaritan i missed you post. i think she was just going to remove the factory arm rests.

i'd like to se some pics of the center consoles you guys have
      f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
      86 LTD wagon - wifes back up car
      slammed 86 pontiac wagon - back up dd
      79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Grand_Marquis_GT and Bowman85merc have the best examples I know of. Got theirs from a '70ish Cougar and a Mutang II, respectively.

Comment

That looks very nice.
          May I ask how/what the missus used to remove the vinyl.? It was a pain when I did mine. Just wondering if she found an easier way.
          The best way I found to remove the little welded on trim nubins, was to clamp on a visegrip and twist them till they came off. Leaves very little leftover to have to grind down.
          1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
          1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
          1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

razor blade, and heat gun

thanks for the tip. a lot the adhesive stayed though..
            f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
            79 fairmont - DD

Comment

heat gun and a blade... that was some work. I used paint stripper for my vinyl, but it left the adhesive also. Lots of rubbing with acetone took care of that.

Here's a pic of what my bodywork looked like after I was done filling all the trim attachments, and a few dents and dings too.

1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
              1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
              1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

yea it was, but she flew through it. was able to remove large sections at a time
                79 fairmont - DD

Comment

BTW the wagon has been replaced, with an 86, and it too has been dewooded
                  79 fairmont - DD

Comment

how we got this one

some rust on the top, that she has already sanded and primered

like i said she has dewooded, and found 3 decent size holes, but nothing like the red wagon, and she got her hands on some national city bank capeting, and elmers craft bod spray glue...

now we are looking for some blue cloth seats for the front and back, cause it's leather for one, and the drivers side is torn badly
                    79 fairmont - DD

Comment

That carpet actually doesn't look bad. Kind of wish they'd done it that way from the factory.

Comment

and it's high traffic carpet so it will stand up to some abuse

anyways heres proof shes workin. using the sander on some surface rust... shhhh she doesn't know i took this much less posting it on line

79 fairmont - DD

Comment

ok lil up date. the lincoln upper rear seat does not fit... another waste of money

NOT! the wifey wasn't going to let that hold her back, she has removed most of the foam from the stock rear wagon seat, and combining the frames, and what not. i have to say she went farther on this than i would have even gone. in other word she's done the oil change, and general tune up, with very little guidance from me. she took apart the over flow tank and cleaned out the brown nastyness. next is a trip to my dad's to fix the brake line that blew a nice hole, change ujoints, tail shaft seat, and the pinion seal on the rear axle will post pics with the new seats in as soon as they are done. the bottom is in already, and looks a ton better than the leather did
                          79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Ooh, this is interesting! This is the first time I've heard of someone modifying a wagon rear seatback. Must - see - pictures!!!

Comment

and pics you shall have... uploading to photobucket now...
                              79 fairmont - DD

Comment

this is the nastyness of the overflow tank. and the water is diluted

wagon rear seat, not modified

lincoln rear seat not modified

this is how everything is connected

in the process of removing stock wagon rear foam

this is how much over lap there is on just the sides

rough placement and head scratching

wagon rear foam on the top (to keep the curve), and sides cut off the lincoln seat (almost 6" on both sides)

both of the factory frames bolted together (to keep shape on the sedan one, and to have the 3 mounting holes for the wagon)

there has been a test fit in the wagon, and she can still use 2 of the 3 mounting points. does not currently fit flat when folded down, but there is still some extra that she has to remove. plus the top of the lincoln one hadn't been cut yet. but she has now finished cutting the top of the lincoln, and molded the to foams together with hot glue. yes hot glue. but not at the edges so that you cant feel a lumps, should still be nice and smooth when the cloth is done. she is also sewing (by hand) a plastic connecter that holds the top of the wagon cloth onto the back of the fold down part. more pics to come, and maybe a finished product today. this only day 3
                                79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Working...
                                X