Door won't open...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door won't open...HELP

HELP ME...LOL. My passenger side front door will not open. It won't unlock and won't open from the inside. not to mention that the key (tumbler) dosen't even work and the window dosent go down.. any suggestions or am i just S.O.L.

does the key lock feel like it wont move or its not attached to anything?
    what happens in that door when you try the power locks?
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The key lock does not want to move to unlock. And nothing happens when the power locks are hit

Comment

You aren't SOL.

I have opened doors that didn't work from the outside, although never on a panther. I believe I used a wedge, a coat hanger, and a pair of needlenose pliers. Once you get the door open, take the door panel off, and have a gander. The mechanisms are fairly simple, and you should be able to ascertain the problem.

The last car I did was my brother's '92 Seville. It turnout the little plastic bushing things had disconnected from the metal rods, and fallen into the bottom of the door. A cop had done this trying to unlock my brother's car, after he locked his keys in it. (Take a lesson: cops are not locksmiths).

Usually doors open from the inside if the lock is actuated. Do the power locks make noise, in that door (the thunk sound), or are they quiet? In other words, are they actuating, but not working? Or no actuation either?
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Thanks for the info, my brother said the exact same thing. But the door is not making any noise at all...no activity what so ever

Comment

open it from the inside.... the lock solenoid is completely seized. Very common. Pull the doorpanel off and rip out the solenoid. put the door back together. F power doorlocks.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The door will not open from the inside, It will not do anything

Comment

i believe mrltd is telling you to remove the door panel etc...so you can rip out the actuator so everything will be freed up again. By doing it this way, you are opening it from the inside.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Even if the actuator is stuck, the door should open from the inside.

Might be something worse. What, I dunno.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    Even if the actuator is stuck, the door should open from the inside.

Might be something worse. What, I dunno.
                    Not if it's really seized up mang. It won't move. My passenger one would do that when the door when it actually locked, and it would not open by the handle. I replaced the actuator, and the problem was solved.

Comment

yup, Im going to attempt to remove the door panel without the door open. I don't know how but Im gunna try.

Comment

You know, I think I may have managed it once. It was the winter when I finally ditched my power locks because they kept freezing up every time the temperature dropped. I think that was the same winter that my tailgate handle tore off - so much for the rear door serving as an emergency entrance when all the passenger doors were frozen solid.

If you're super careful, you may experience less damage to your cardboard backing than I did.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The passenger door on my car got stuck like that and I took the panel off to remove the lock solenoid but it was still stuck. I ended up rolling the window down, inserting a straight/bent tip pry bar onto the top of the solenoid and tapped it out of the bracket with a hammer.
                          sigpic
                          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

You must be very clever to have better access from the top of the door than with just reaching your hand directly in to the solenoid! I don't remember now whether I pulled the solenoid from its bracket or just unhooked the rod, but I'm pretty sure I just unhooked the rod.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

With mine, it was so jammed that I really wasn't able to remove it even with the having the panel removed. I was just peeking in from the top and it seemed like a decent enough idea. It took one hit from the hammer and came right out.
                              sigpic
                              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Working...
                              X