No announcement yet.

Alternator Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So aside from not having the wire going to the bat and F it all looks correct? The only reason I am using the colors is because that is all I have to go off and they match everything I have seen everywhere 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      ...slight fire hazard....
      it's a pretty significant fire hazard if autozone sells the alternator with a new harness and warning labels all over describing the fire hazard. seems the plug does a better job sealing in moisture than it does sealing out moisture.
      '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Originally posted by ss_mini14 View Post
        it's a pretty significant fire hazard if autozone sells the alternator with a new harness and warning labels all over describing the fire hazard. seems the plug does a better job sealing in moisture than it does sealing out moisture.
        Funny, the ones I've bought (one from AutoZone, one from Murray's) didn't include a new plug. Of course, it's been a few years, and I'm not much interested in buying more because I'm sick of the crappy output at idle.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaking View Post
          I guess I should explain, I am swapping this motor into a fox body. I motor is out of a c.v. with the 351 p.i. The fox body had the 1g 65 amp and the c.v. had the 100 amp.
          I believe the 65 amp 1G (external VR) alternator is still a large-frame alternator, but since I'm not completely positive on that I'd like you to go and measure up the distance between the mounting holes in the Fox-body's original alternator - 7" is a small-frame alt, 8-1/4" is the large frame. Honestly give the current situation I'd just go ahead and grab another 3G alternator with the proper-size case, reasoning being that you can't really wire it up the wrong way, while with any externally-regulated alternator you can fuck it up so bad that you fry the ECM when you fire it up, and if you're lucky even see some light/smoke show from under the hood.

However, let's see if this helps ya out, go by letters and positions of plugs, not by colors:

Comment

Ooh, excellent, RJM did have a real 1G diagram buried somewhere. Now if I can see about having that replace the bogus one I made ......

Comment

It's actually FordFuelInjection.com which is his non-commercial website, he diagrams for all sorts of alternators along with pictures of them for easy identification.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Funny, the ones I've bought (one from AutoZone, one from Murray's) didn't include a new plug. Of course, it's been a few years, and I'm not much interested in buying more because I'm sick of the crappy output at idle.
                well a couple years ago when mine caught fire i bought one from autozone and it did not have a plug and in hindsight the alternator looked like it wasn't 100% new. they didnt have the plug so i went next door to checker to get one. after i repaired it and installed the new alternator it wouldnt charge so i went back to autozone and they tested it on the car and blamed it on my "amature" wiring job. i went home and removed the "new" alternator and took it back to have it bench tested, lo and behold it was bad. they replaced it with another new alternator that had a free plug zip tied to it with flashy orange warning labels all over it demanding me to replace the plug or else...

one of these days i'll do the 3G SWAP BUT FOR NOW I'M STUCK WITH WHAT I HAVE
                '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Alright, I am going to attempt to save myself a lot of headaches and hit the pick a part tommarow. I am thinking about just switching brackets so I can run the small case 3g that I already have. What motor would I find the correct bracket on? Also, just incase I can not find the bracket, is the 3.8 taurus the only car that has the large case? Sorry for all the questions that probably seems simple to most.

Comment

Any 5.0 Panther with no Instaclear option will have the bracket you need, really look for something that is late '80s to early '90s and you should find the correct bracket. 2G alternator is what usually lives in them, easily identified by the push-in plug with the charge wires, compared to a bolt-on stud for the 1G. And yah, a 3.8 Taurus is your safest bet for a large-frame 3G alternator.

Comment

Well things didnt go as planned and I didnt make it to the pick a part. So the 5.0's will just have the front bracket like I need? I know the motor I took out of the stang had a different setup for the alt. Also I finally found a pic of the alt. I have in the car now that I can not figure out how to wire up. Turns out it is a 1g.
                      http://fordfuelinjection.com/public/...ternator04.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaking View Post
                        Turns out it is a 1g.
                        I thought we sort of already knew that? :confused:

Comment

Sort of, but all the wiring diagrams I could find would show a different style so I was starting to wonder. It still looks different then the pic of the other 1g on that site.

Comment

lol .... nope, externally-regulated alternator is definitely a 1G, and should work great if you follow the diagrams posted in this thread (especially Ivan's, which has the terminals labeled).

Comment

There are several sizes of 1G alternator, and they sometimes look visually slightly different. Some have studs on the back for the field and stator, and some have the small plug on the side. Thats really the only difference.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

eric is this for your mustang?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                                X