Twin turbo 306 Towncar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
    so this is what you been doing instead of pulling the Seats at LKQ?

btw... I am going agree on the turbo exhaust housing, .48 and .50 are going to be too small, need at least a .63 housing for it to be worth anything.

the .63 chrysler pattern housing is now discontinued, not sure if the t3/t4 pattern stuff is too.
    yep, you caught me. I'm also trying to get a job, hopefully tomorrow I will have one *crosses fingers*
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Jobs are overrated. Also, used parts, especially stuff like this, can be questionable. I'd really want to inspect it in person for something like that, turbos are probably not the cheapest thing to rebuild if there is major damage. My last "deal" purchase turned out to involve a total of 6 bent valves, so you have to take descriptions with a grain of salt sometimes.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar View Post
        I just retracted my bid because the kid selling them posted a revision to his ebay listing saying a chunk of piston went through each one :yuck: I'll be looking for maybe a bit of a bigger turbo set than .50mm
        Minor details! Yup, everyone's gonna want to pay lots for turbos that have shared a piston for luncheon.

I *had* thought the rule of thumb with turbos on a street car was like carburetors; that is, run the smallest one that's sufficient for your needs?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thain's right, they ain't cheap to rebuild, but if you end up with something that needs rebuilding, you can always ship them to me and I'll build 'em up for the cost of the rebuild kit. (I do it for a living. )

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
            I would imagine max boost at 2500 on a 5.0 with those...Friggin .48 housing does that on a stock 2.3L...SVO's can cruise on the highway without spooling the turbos. I would use .63's, I got better milage and more power on mine with the 63 exhaust housing.
            Yeah your 100% right, I just suggested the small housing ones because he mentioned such small turbos in the OP so I thought he was wanting a tiny setup with super low spool.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar View Post
              I just retracted my bid because the kid selling them posted a revision to his ebay listing saying a chunk of piston went through each one :yuck: I'll be looking for maybe a bit of a bigger turbo set than .50mm

I wrote down all the stuff that needs to happen before the turbos go on.
              195* thermo - bought
              Taurus fan - bought
              proper tranny cooler line routing - need to do
              3.55 locking K-code with disc brakes - bought
              cargo coils - bought
              big brakes and front end rebuild (so I can stop the damn thing lol) - don't got
              AEM Wideband (so I don't blow shiz up) - don't got
              Mass air conversion - don't got
              Tweecer - don't got
              Fixed...
              1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
              1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
              1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
              1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Interesting ideas here. I had a turbo idea for my future as well, but my only problem would be the underhood placement of the turbos, intercooler, and all the piping...

Thoughts?
                sigpic
                https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

I've seen guys put the turbo under the car because there was no room under the hood.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaslincoln View Post
                    I've seen guys put the turbo under the car because there was no room under the hood.
                    Rear mount turbos are always a thought I've had, but I am not sure if remote turbos offer the same gains as standard ones.
                    sigpic
                    https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                    1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                    1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                    2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                    2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

Aside from the ground clearance problems it would introduce, I'd have to figure they'd be less efficient since you have less exhaust velocity the further back you go. I would move stuff out of the way before hanging an expensive turbo under the car where it could get bonked on some oversized speedbump.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can't remember what car it was either, I think I have a magazine somewhere with it. I'm pretty sure it was a mustang though.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it shows the basic idea, kinda. Wish the guy had lingered longer on the actual turbo though.

Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

I think they get around the exhaust velocity problem in longer exhaust systems by using a wrap to keep EGT's up.

My main worry would be lag, not it getting bumped with the space and clearance on a Towncar.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

There's plenty of room under the hood! Even more if you scrap the AC, relocate the battery, junk the old reservoir tanks... if they can stuff two in a supra...
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I'll probably mount them behind the front bumper somewhere, or where the AC used to be and intake is now, theres plenty of room.
                                1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Working...
                                X