PI swaybars, 03-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI swaybars, 03-up?

How good are they? If I can find some at the yard, would they benefit me on the 09?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

2004 and up CVPI models use a 29mm front swaybar, and continue to use a 17mm rear

The '09 Grand Marquis *should* have a 26.5mm front bar, so the PI unit would be a significant improvement.

*If* it does have a rear swaybar, the '09 should be using the '03+ base suspension 15mm rear bar.

The CVPI bar would be a marginal improvement, but you're much better off using a 1992+ "HPP" rear bar which is 21mm.

These interchange 1992+ for the rear. But it's very inexpensive to just buy new from the dealer, YW7Z-5A772-CA
    Keep in mind you will also need endlinks and bushing clamps/hardware if you have NO rear bar currently. The YW7Z-5A772-CA includes new rubber insulators.

I also recommend going with the ENS endlink and bushing kit for the rear if you decide on the HPP bar. The part number for this kit is on my modification page, under suspension. It's inexpensive.
    -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
    My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

thanks for the info, looks like a cheap upgrade for my 01 GM.
      sigpic
      Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
      Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

Thanks drock. Interesting tidbit about the 92-up rear bar fitting 03-up stuff. I will keep my eyes peeled next time i go to the yard. I might get lucky and score a 3.55 trac-loc out of a PI even, which would make a nice upgrade as well as all the other goodies I swipe from that car

Comment

You can use a complete rear axle assembly from a 2003 or newer model, but avoid '03 units unless you see a "Use 75w-140 synthetic lubricant only" or similar tag on the differential cover (this indicates it has had the '03 rear axle TSB work)

Early (very) in the 2005 model year all panther models went to a 31 spline rear axle assembly, so if you plan on any heavy mods later on finding one of these would be ideal.
          -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
          My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
          Modifications
          Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Originally posted by drock96marquis View Post
            Early (very) in the 2005 model year all panther models went to a 31 spline rear axle assembly, so if you plan on any heavy mods later on finding one of these would be ideal.
            Awesome info man! that will definatly come in handy.
            sigpic
            Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
            Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

Now THAT is badass. I will definately look for a wrecked 05-up PI in the yards if I can. You rock, drock!

Comment

You could look aftermarket for sway bars and springs for a Marauder......I saw some Eibach ones a while back.

Comment

Working...
                X