introduction and a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

introduction and a few questions

hi my name is chris and i am an allignment tech in MA. i recently purchased a 1999 grand maquis gs w/ 65,000 miles for $1200 dollars. I do have a basic a car knowledge, but it doesnt really go past routine service. ive posted these questions in other forms but didnt get answers probally becasue there on stickys allready.

question #1

i recently put a set of rims on the car, tire dimensions are, front 245/35R20 and the rears are 285/30R20, i dont have a rubbing problem i just dont like the way the car stands. here is a picture

i would like to lower it 1.5 inches front and rear but cannot find parts to do so i would like anyones advice on this because i know the car would look much better that way.

question #2

im interested in in a 3.73:1 ring and pinion swap, i have percission trac on my car and need it to be active because i hydroplane like crazy from the width of my rear wheels, if i swap the gears and change to a stronger police interceptor drive shaft will i need further parts for this system to work correctly?

welcome to gmn chris!

you might want to use speedway motors circle track springs to lower the car..........i mainly work on the boxes, so i'm not 100% sure how much they will lower the car

you can install 3.73 gears and the pi driveshaft, but you will need a sct tuner to correct the speedo or you wont be able to go over 90 mph with the 3.73's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Nice Whale!! Welcome to GMN
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

thanx lincolnmania, and lincolnlover79

Suspension Question Update

i found a sticky that gave alot of info but it says for 91 and back, but is that for the calculated 1 inch drop or the parts wont fit? What changes to the suspenision were made after 91?

Here are links to the parts im looking at

front = http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Street...rings,166.html
        rear = http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Co...rings,168.html

if these do fit i will be satisfied for around an inch because even tho the od on my old and new tire/rim is very close it looks like its sittin a little to high.
        if someone knows if theses will work on my 99 gm please let me know, or if they dont and you could point me a little closer in the right direction that would be great.

Comment

you could go old school and cut the springs, but I like to keep the geometry stock to avoid problems.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
          Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
          Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
          NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Nice ride!
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Nice.

And yay, someone who can actually align one of these damn cars.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Too bad you're nowhere near Michigan, if your alignment skillz are any good.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

ive alligned many panthers because my shop takes in local police department allignments, and all sorts of undercover cars "its quite surprisng when you goto hit a horn and all the sirens start going off. " actually off topic but one of the most interesting vechicles that came into my shop was a sting van, it was set up like a plumbing truck, had like 5 hd camcorders with a periscope, i had to test the battery, and when i opened the hood the guy who brought it was like no the other batterys and i looked at him like ???? he opened the back and i swear it was just like out of a movie i wish i took a picture but i dont think he would have appreciated it.

Also i was trying to avoid cutting springs because from what i heard u have to cut one full coil off and im looking for such a small drop and i know that will just lead to problems
                  Last edited by cbaileyevo13; 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

That sounds awfully nifty about that van!

On my '87 wagon, I cut a half coil. Made for a nice handling improvement without dropping too much, and I was ultimately able to get it aligned OK afterwards.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Welcome!
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X