No announcement yet.

Bought a '88 P72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like the rattle my 86 makes since day 1... It will not make a damn bit of difference on performance or longevity of the engine.
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Good good... keep those opinions on the sound coming. (the sound doesn't start in the clip until the idle levels out btw) The camera got the sound fairly well. Im gonna try to poke around with my stethoscope and see if it stands out anywhere - i just keep forgetting to bring it home from work.
      I appreciate all the feedback and compliments... i definitely love helping keep good Fords around. Even if the motor or transmission go bad, this will still be a nice mostly-fixed-up project for hopefully someone here to tow out of my driveway for cheap It would be financially irresponsible of me to spring for something like that for it... I try to cover car goodies with money from side work or selling parts, so big stuff is out of range.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

hook up a timing light and see if the noise is every flash or twice per flash. Once per flash is valvetrain, twice per flash is bottom end related. With 40 psi hot, I really doubt its bearing noise though. Sounds more like piston slap but it could be a sloppy main. Usually the dead mains hammer really bad for a second or two on initial startup, then get much quieter. I didn't hear the hammering noise. Another reason to suspect piston slap, that will get quieter as the motor warms up because the piston expands. Bearings tend to get louder as it warms and the oil thins out.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did some tinkering in the nice weather today... didn't feel like getting too dirty so I didn't try any Lucas in the crankcase to try to quiet the noise yet...

But I did put on some 91 clears, fixed the automatic parking brake release, and put on the nice driver door armrest, switch panel, and pull I got for it.
          Still gotta clean it up, and the whole interior for that matter. I've vacuumed it but it still needs a good scrubbing...
          Also replaced a couple missing door and dome light lenses, plugged the driver door switch back in, and installed some good used door strikers I had leftover from the bunch I pulled for the '91.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 85crownHPP; 03-01-2010, 05:40 PM.
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

What's with the red & white on the inside of the driver's door?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

candy cane edition crown victoria
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'd guess it's a reflector for when the door is opened into traffic at night. Pretty smart idea for a cop car, really.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Well i finally got some Lucas in the oil... it definitely helped a little. It still makes the noise some on a cold start-up but it's barely noticeable once it warms up now.

Last visit to the junkyard I was VEEEERRRYYYYYYY tempted to buy this nice set of blue regular towncar seats for it... very tempted. I resisted, because I still haven't paid off the HPP wheels yet, and this thing should keep the police car look...

I also was starting to get a little squeak in the right front, so i put finally put some grease fittings in that arm... the squeaky one took some grease, but the back one wont seem to accept any. Can a grease fitting be too deep for the hole and bottom out, sealing itself off? I didn't think of backing it out some when i was fooling with it. Im using a handful of different fittings, probably ruined the threads in the one hole by now, but i did make sure the fitting would take grease before i installed it.

Im also getting a rattle from the front, one or both sides... it sounds like a big washer rattling around over medium bumps. The rubber could stand to be replaced but its not a sway bar link or visible shock mount bushing.
                  I don't see anything else obviously amiss, so i hope its the bottom upper front shock mount bushing, the one you can't see. Do those wear out first? They probably take the most abuse...

Also Ive noticed a drip or two from the front trim above the rear view mirror... i need to check out that antenna plug on the roof real good. It doesn't feel like rubber, more like a soft epoxy.

The good news is... i used some cleaner to scrub a little on the paint, on the various super-mildew and other stained parts, and it looks like it will all come clean, and even shine again. This one may wind up the best looking one of them all, if I can get the chrome trim to shine up.
                  All this is going to make the '85 VERY jealous... she needs the same attention and some spot rust treatments...
                  sigpic

Comment

Possible the fitting is bottomed out, but I'd be more inclined to think the grease in there is solidified and you need to pull the fitting out to clean or replace it.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Its a new fitting in there, it only had plugs in the holes when i got it. I'll try digging around in the hole with a pick and leaving the fitting a turn loose next time....
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post

Last visit to the junkyard I was VEEEERRRYYYYYYY tempted to buy this nice set of blue regular towncar seats for it... very tempted. I resisted, because I still haven't paid off the HPP wheels yet, and this thing should keep the police car look...
                        Damn soo close to to getting my hands on those seats
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Good news! I think the rattling up front is just the brake pads... I was on a long rough road today and noticed the noise quit when i hit the brakes lightly.

Also, lookey what i nabbed at the junkyard
                          Its just sitting there for the pic... it looks like the hump bracket will work with some spacers, and with some trimming the dash end wont look too horribly not-lined-up
                          I'll have to fab something up to go in the empty area where the shifter boot was, maybe some sheet metal, and put the gauges and some goodies in it. hhhmmmm...
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

That mustang center console looks GREAT there!

Oh and just to satisfy my curiosity...do those bucket seat backs fold forward?
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

nope, no recline!

I washed this one again the other day too... got more of the gunk off. The bad stains and oxidation are coming off with some polish, but you have to really scrub hard! if I'm going to wear myself out on this, I should be doing the 85, not this one!!
                              now with the nice dash pad, the only interior flaws are the driver's left-foot-hole in the carpet (carpet still needs a shampoo too) and the blue-to-green seat fade. the front seats aren't too bad because they had covers on the upper parts.

pics of the new dash pad Tiggie hooked me up with:
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

yea they will fold forward if you take the bolt out of the back of teh seat

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                                X