No announcement yet.

sea foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran two bottles into the intake of my 1989 Econoline with a 302, as I wanted a 'deep clean', lol.

The result? I mosquito-fogged, the point of not being able to see behind me, nine miles of roadway....the smoke came out of the exhaust, and hit the low pressure area directly behind the van, fanning the smoke out in all directions....you guys would have been proud of me, as cars were having to stop for the wall of smoke I was putting out.

It ran a lot better afterwards, however.

Comment

I just added some SeaFoam to my almost empty tank, filled up, and took it for a ride on the e-way.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        I don't think they sell Seafom in Canada, so I bought Canadian Tire "Carburetor and Combustion Chamber Cleaner" in a smallish black bottle. Does anyone know if this stuff works as well as seafoam? The instructions are similar.
        Napa for the seafoam, as for the crappy tire stuff, I have no idea. Driving like an ass once in awhile seems to keep my engines pretty clean, I only seafoam them when I buy them.
        Last edited by 351m; 09-29-2009, 02:19 PM.
        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Don't put too much in at once. You can hydrolock the engine if you're not careful.

Comment

What's the difference then between this and Marvel's Mystery Oil?

And isn't there some pink liquid stuff that can be dripped into the intake via an IV-esque jug?

I've used each of these - making eye-watering white smoke.
            sigpic
            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
            COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              I don't think they sell Seafom in Canada, so I bought Canadian Tire "Carburetor and Combustion Chamber Cleaner" in a smallish black bottle. Does anyone know if this stuff works as well as seafoam? The instructions are similar.

I've found Seafoam at CarQuest auto parts. It is 12.69 after taxes in N.S.

How long is ideal to let Seafoam sit and do its thing? I got a bit of a smokeshow today but not quite as much as I expected (they say drive for 5-10 miles until the exhaust is normal, mine was good after not quite one mile.) How quick do you pour it in? Do you want the engine to be constantly bogging down and surging or somewhat steady (as steady as a vac leak can be)

Letting it sit longer = better? I dunno how it goes. I Seafoam'd the car while hot and let it sit while I greased every hinge in it and stood around (pretending to look knowing), maybe 20 minutes total, and I did not put any in the crankcase, just in the gas tank and the booster vac line, fwiw.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I used it one time on my car, not much smoke. I poured it right down the carburetor (SLOWLY), after the engine was at operating temp, and let it sit for 20 minutes, if I remember right.

Started it up, and there was a little smoke, but not much.

You see, with the way that I tend to drive things, there are no issues with carbon or sludge build up. I regularly change the oil, and regularly hammer it.

Folks on the Dodge forum were discussing cleaning the throttle body from the sludge/ carbon deposits, so I checked mine. A light film, and nothing more. I'm never afraid to lay on the throttle...
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  I used it one time on my car, not much smoke. I poured it right down the carburetor (SLOWLY), after the engine was at operating temp, and let it sit for 20 minutes, if I remember right.

Started it up, and there was a little smoke, but not much.

You see, with the way that I tend to drive things, there are no issues with carbon or sludge build up. I regularly change the oil, and regularly hammer it.

Folks on the Dodge forum were discussing cleaning the throttle body from the sludge/ carbon deposits, so I checked mine. A light film, and nothing more. I'm never afraid to lay on the throttle...
                  a man after my heart...

I had a similar experience. Some smoke, but not enough to piss off the neighbours, it just sorta look like a blown head gasket or something, and was gone after a 1st gear lap around the block. This is with the combustion chamber cleaner I mentioned above, which a few people have indicated to me is basically seafoam.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I usually let it sit for about 15 min. Smoked less then the car usually does on a cold morning.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

This might be worth posting in this thread. I have been emailing Seafoam company and getting good responses from a guy named Jim. When I asked why a can of SF that I bought one day was one color, and a can I bought off of the same shelf the next day was a completely different color and seemed to work much better, he answered;

Josh
                      Sea Foam is a multi use product and can be used in any type fuel and oil. Because Sea Foam can be used in diesel fuel the D.O.T. requires any additive for diesel fuel can not have any coloring and we had to remove the dye from our product. The only difference in the two cans is the color. To see any results when adding Sea Foam to fuel may require to run through a tank full of treated fuel.

Jim Davis

Sea Foam Sales Co.

Technical Service Manager

ASE Certified Automotive Technician

I then asked how often it would be fine to run SF through my gas tank and manifold vac line;

Josh
                      Sea Foam is a multi use product and can be used in any type fuel and oil. Because Sea Foam can be used in diesel fuel the D.O.T. requires any additive for diesel fuel can not have any coloring and we had to remove the dye from our product. The only difference in the two cans is the color. To see any results when adding Sea Foam to fuel may require to run through a tank full of treated fuel.

Jim Davis

Sea Foam Sales Co.

Technical Service Manager

ASE Certified Automotive Technician

note: The cruise control servo is also circular and very near the brake booster. It looks somewhat similar and someone that doesn't know a ton about cars could mistake it for the booster. I did. SF still worked but not quite as well as I had thought, that's why I bought the second can to run through. Since it's all manifold vacuum, it's all going to the same place, but might make a few stops along the way, and as such, you won't get as much SF in there as you had planned.
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Looks like a bot answered the same twice.
                        sigpic
                        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                        302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                        COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
                          Looks like a bot answered the same twice.

Nah it looks like my dumb ass fucked up when editing my post;

Josh
                          *Because Sea Foam is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives Sea
                          Foam can be used in fuel as often as you like. We recommend using Sea Foam
                          in the fuel every 2-5 thousand miles and in the vacuum line one a year or
                          every 15000 miles. I add Sea Foam to my fuel every other tank full of fuel.

SORRY ALL!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            b12 chemtool does the same thing.....only 3 bucks a can
                            X2!

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
                            I ran two bottles into the intake of my 1989 Econoline with a 302, as I wanted a 'deep clean', lol.

The result? I mosquito-fogged, the point of not being able to see behind me, nine miles of roadway....the smoke came out of the exhaust, and hit the low pressure area directly behind the van, fanning the smoke out in all directions....you guys would have been proud of me, as cars were having to stop for the wall of smoke I was putting out.

It ran a lot better afterwards, however.
                            That ROCKS!

pETE
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with Seafoam products other than the motor/fuel system treatment?
                              sigpic

Comment

friend of mine likes to tout Auto-RX products. Don't have any experience personally, but the amount of gunk he got out of his engine over a few months was amazing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X