Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Vicky"-1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

"Vicky"-1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

This is my second attempt to make a readers ride thread, the first one was insanely unorganized with a lot of randomness.

Okay, this was formerly known as "The Assault Vehicle", but when the girl you are trying to hook up with suggests a different name that sounds better, you just go with it (It sounds better as a female anyway). It was my grandfathers car; he purchased it new in 1987 and someone in my immediate family has put almost all of the 95k miles on it. Everything is manual (windows seats, locks) and is the BARE Minimum of what it had options for (although there is a passenger Mirror). Currently Its not exactly the most popular car at school, but when it gets done I intend on winning best car for senior year. Here are the pics of it when I started:

I was 15 when the car was signed over to me, and as soon as I got it, I started to plan my course of action. I redid the entire stereo system, which Consists of a JVC headunit paired with Pioneer speakers in the doors and rear shelf. I got speaker grilles out of a ranger, and just cut the perforated holes that are in the door panels.

The next point of action was really a headache. I got a universal cold air intake along with Ford Racing Valve Covers. The Intake went in fine, but the valve covers were annoying. We get the gaskets glued on, dismantle the top end of the engine, bolt them in, stick the upper plenum on to find that they don't fit. My dad had to come out and fix it, because I was pissed off that I had just paid $180 for valve covers that wouldn't fit. We ended up cutting the throttle cable bracket to fit the drivers side, and put the orignal valve cover on the passenger side (oil fill was in wrong location) and just putting on the oil cap. Im planning on a box upper manifold so I can put the other ie on. And I also lost the hood insulation.

I then found the rear PI sway bar for 50 bucks, and sanded and primed and painted it. But still wasnt happy with the handling. So I upgrade the front swaybar bushings to urethane and now the thing handles like a BMW!

My latest Project invloved the finding of the 79 LTD script tailights. I found them for 10 bucks at the Goodguys Blue Suede Cruise in Norwalk, OH for 10 bucks. They were in sad shape so I did my best to fix them up. That write up is here:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=31069
    But here they are in their completed state:

Night Pics:

Last edited by hemihotrod402; 09-22-2009, 04:01 PM.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

I made a to-do list before prom this year, which involves the following:
    79 Landau Grille Blacked Out
    Headlight Bezels Blacked Out
    Dual exhaust with glasspacks
    140 MPH Speedometer
    Wheels/Tires

For wheels, I am going with Coys C-5 Polished Aluminum; 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing.

I have almost all of the money needed set aside for these upgrades, its just finding the parts. Wheels and Tires will wait til spring, because its getting to close to winter.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Looking forward to seeing further progress on this "Vicky"
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Those wheels are gonna look really nice!

Packman

Comment

your car is going to look really nice when your done with it, you seem really determined.

Oh, and is that a yellow Maverick i see , looks wicked, whats the story on that.
          ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
          ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

uh oh... another car named Vicky.... at least my first one was named Vickie... John's white 86 is Vicky though... either way... welcome to the site
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Great... another Vicky. She looks really good. Did you upgrade the front sway bar to police as well? That will definitely help with handling. I believe that the wagon bar is a little bigger but hollow and will work about the same as the police bar. You need a 140 speedometer in her. I forgot how empty the cluster is without all those numbers jammed in there Keep her alive mang. I believe that all of the later year boxes came with a passenger side mirror.
              Last edited by 86VickyLX; 09-23-2009, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
                Oh, and is that a yellow Maverick i see , looks wicked, whats the story on that.
                Not a Maverick....That's an AMX.
                People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Looking real good so far, keep it up.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fordktpjoe View Post
                    Not a Maverick....That's an AMX.
                    DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner. Its a 1977 hornet AMX. That would be my dads new play toy. He ordered one brand new in 1977 by just looking at a picture. Street raced the thing around toledo, and had to sell it due to money problems. He found this one two years ago in Elkhart, Indiana for two grand. The only catch was the interior had a mouse nest in it and reeked of mouse piss. Also whatever could be chewed up, was chewed up. It has a 360, custom suspension, Lakewood traction bars, and a 4 barrel. Ive driven it, and it rides alot better than the crown does.

Comment

looks great mang nice progress so far. yeah putting on custom valve covers on does not work out some times lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        Great... another Vicky.
                        sorry! i guess its just kind of a generic name for these things. I have found a 86 country squire at the u-pull in oak harbor, im going to see if it still has the front bar, Im also hoping to find the speedo out of a cop car
                        Last edited by hemihotrod402; 09-23-2009, 02:57 PM.

Comment

also grab the fender braces that tie together the core support to the fenders...check if it has the under body frame braces as well.
                          oh and only a speedo up to year 89 will work for you because after that they turned electric.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just wondering why you couldn't take back the valve covers, did you buy from an individual? I'd like to custom paint my valve cover on my car, pretty sure there isn't any aftermarket for a 1.0L 3cyl Metro lol.

Also those bumpers look perfect, as far as I can tell not a scratch on them and they could be shined up to a mirror finish, very nice.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

im going to hit the bumpers with chrome polish, there is some minor pitting starting but otherwise they are flawless. The place where I got the valve covers is about 2 hours away (jegs) and I knew that I was going to upgrade the engine in the future, and I would find a way for them to fit. They look to badass to take back.

Comment

Working...
                              X