No announcement yet.

"Vicky"-1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can still save a heck of a lot of money by eliminating some of the completely unnecessary bits:

- fancy aftermarket wheels
    - MSD distributor
    - forced induction plans
    - stereo upgrades
    - phantzy steering wheel and gauges

Hit me up when it's time for your exhaust; depending on timing, I may still have my 2.5" catback available for about $200. Or were you the one who PMed me about the Rumblemaster mufflers?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I was the one who Pm'd you about the flowmasters. The stuff I eliminated from the list include evrything you said (except the wheels), the engine and tranny, swap etc. Ive decided Im going to make this thing kind of a sleeper. Im going to rebuild the top end of the engine, throw in a shift kit, the aftermarket wheels are still going to stay, and Im going to RESTORE it as much as possible. My grandpa and my dad both persuaded me to keep the modifications simple and reversible, just because it is a "family" car. Besides, I think it would be fun to take on the challenge of restoring and cleaning up this thing. It is beautiful now as (some dick-head wanted to buy it and turn it into a donk) but there are some spots that need some TLC. I'll replace the speakers (probably all infinity's), keep the head unti I got, forget the high wattage system. The exhaust is completely going (replaced with 2.25" pipes with stock mustang headers). Ill post up a list later. I have the customizations down to just under 2 grand. plus another 4-5 for all of the restoring (it helps when you do it yourself). I narrowed it down from $33,000 (initial total) to 10-11 grand, and it would still totally rock. There is a strong possibility I will get the 140 speedometer tomorrow, along with that landeau grille.

PS Exhaust is coming near christmas time this year

Which Leads me to my next question. I know you can with the E7 heads, but can you run the stock lower intake with GT40 heads?
      Last edited by hemihotrod402; 10-06-2009, 04:51 PM.
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Okay, I massively revamped my list, here goes nothing:
        Customizations:
        79 Landeau Grille $30-$40
        Replacement Headlight Bezels $10-$15
        Coys C-5 Wheels $700
        255/45-17 Tires $240-$500
        140 MPH Speedometer <$50
        1996 Explorer Motor: $500-$750
        AOD Transmission: $200-$500
        Box Upper Manifold $323
        MSD Distributor Cap and Rotor $29.99
        Mustang Pistons $?
        Infinity Kappa 6x9 Speakers $179.99
        Infinity Kappa 3.5" Speakers :74.99
        AOD Shift Kit 45.99
        Beefing up AOD as much as needed $? (havent researched this one yet)

Im going to restore the rest to as factory original as possible.
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

1) You do NOT want a box-style upper intake on a Panther. Unless you like having no low end.

2) Stock Exploder pistons are fine for most builds. If your core needs to be bored, Summit rebuild kits that include Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons are about $250.

3) Make sure your AOD shift kit is a TransGo or Bauman. The TransGo AOD-HP includes a 5000rpm shift governor.

4) Is your current AOD broken or slipping? If not, why do you want to change it out?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Okay, so Box upper intake, I'll figure that one out later (when the time comes), I might just find a mustang engine and put explorer heads on it. Then valve covers would bolt on. This is a serious question, how would a box upper manifold rob me of low end torques if it outflows the gt-40 intake on a STOCK Lower? It increases the powerband at higher rpms, but adjusting the timing will bring it back lower, woudn't it? If I'm completely wrong, go ahead and say it, I just had a brainstorm when I read your message

This car will undergo an extensive restoration in the future, and we want to keep the numbers-matching engine and tranny. Ill hop up the replalcment engine and build up a cheap AOD we can find.

UPDATE!!!!! I found the grille and 140 mph speedometer today! I now have a weekend project lol. Payed a total of 75 bucks (30 for the grille, 45 for the speedo)
            Last edited by hemihotrod402; 10-07-2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Assuming there are no fitment issues with the style of box upper intake you want to use, it will be fine. Odds are you will need to have the car tuned however, so you may want to figure that into your budget.

Comment

sorry 1987cp, you were right

I did my research and unless I can get that 5.0 engine up to a bout 6000 rpm, plus a turbo, it wouldn't do me anything at all. (I went to the mustang forums and they can't even get them to work). So its back to the drawing board I'll porbably just leave it stock until I get the money for the explorer engine, then I can make them fit, and tune the crap out of it.

Once again, my bad!
                Last edited by hemihotrod402; 10-08-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

okay back to the car. Im considering maybe a 95 rear axle, with discs and either a 3.27 or 3.55 rear end. Also maybe putting 95 brakes up front.

I hosed off the 2 inches of shit off of the grille and I FOUND CHROME! I have to polish it up yet, but at least it shines. I might even start sanding this weekend (thanks for the info dave). As far as the speedometer goes, I have to swap the glass of my 85 with the 140 because there is a bunch of writing on it, and its cracked. Ill post up pics when I get the ambition.

Comment

I want pics!

and remember 210 squares to sand
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ok so heres the speedo:

and heres the grille:

Im going to swap out the clear plastic on the 140 with my 85, just because it sucks. The grille still isnt fully clean yet, I need to thorughly wash it, but that will wait until i get it sanded. Sorry for the poor quality pics, I had to take them inside because its raining dogs and cats here

Comment

They look great. Any more speedos from where that one came from?

and make sure to use your original printed circuit...basically just open up the 140. Take the back half off and put your original back half on it. The police ones had two less night illumination lights.
                        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

actually that was exactly what we were going to do (thank god my dad has been a ford technician for 25 years). He suggested that when he originally saw it.

I actually found the speedo on car-part.com and that said it was the only one they had. I'll have to check, but i think there is another one in the immediate area. If you want, I can check it out for ya

Comment

no its ok, i was just wondering. I got mine from car-part.com as well.
                            ~David~

Comment

sanded the grille today (all 210 holes). I need to wipe it down with degreaser, but it needs to warm up before I even think about painting it (global warming my ass). I might just take it up to the set build for the school play (because I am 1 of two people at school who know how to use a set tools) and spray it up there, its so fucking hot in that gym that it would dry in 5 minutes

Comment

140 MPH SPEEDOMETER

I finally installed the speedometer. Took me all of 3 hours to do it (didnt expect it to take that long.
                                Partial Disassembly

Bye Bye 85 MPH

Naked 140

Finally

It is defiantly going to take some getting used to, I actually have to pay attention to the numbers again, not the needle position, or I will meet some of our friendly neighborhood
                                :cops:

Comment

Working...
                                X