Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heads should be E7 on that one. If you're going to stay speed density, that's the easy route (less possible issues). If you're going mass air, wait for some GT40 heads (96/97 explorer or gt40p and p head specific headers) to really turn it up a notch. You'll need the cam too if you don't already have one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So im hearing the Mass air swap is a pain in the butt...then I hear its only adding like 4 wires and changing 2....I also heard "long ago" that the H.O. Dizzy had to be added when doing a HO conversion, but im glad its not. With that said Im still considering cleaning up my Old E7's and throwing them on my Vic...I already have a HO cam since i have an E303...yes i actually have an E303 with the Speed Density lol. So I dont know we will see.
      1990 Crown Vic - Lowered, E303 cammed, Short tube headers, H-pipe and Thursh welded mufflers dumped....MANY UPDATES COMING
      1999 Expedition EB mildy lifted on 33" Toyo's
      2012 4Runner Trail, 33" Duratracs, KDSS,lifted and louder.

Comment

It will be a pain in the butt for you only because of whatever the previous owner did to your car to get it running.

You say you have stock computer with HO firing order cam (E303). To do that actual pins on the harness (either at computer, or injectors) need to be changed/swapped. There may be other changes as well that are less obvious than that and of course even less obvious than the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 spark plug order needed for a cam such as the E303

You plan to now add a computer (mass air computer) that already fires on the HO firing order to a harness that has been tricked into firing in the HO order. This will result in major work figuring out what the hell the previous owner actually did do get a stock box panther computer to play with an HO cam.

I did the mass air swap. Not hard to do. Here is when I installed mine:http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post771344

And my notes for when I converted to HO with mass air:

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you don't do the smog stuff, you can abandon several of those. I moved them just so they'd have somewhere to go.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            It will be a pain in the butt for you only because of whatever the previous owner did to your car to get it running.

You say you have stock computer with HO firing order cam (E303). To do that actual pins on the harness (either at computer, or injectors) need to be changed/swapped. There may be other changes as well that are less obvious than that and of course even less obvious than the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 spark plug order needed for a cam such as the E303

You plan to now add a computer (mass air computer) that already fires on the HO firing order to a harness that has been tricked into firing in the HO order. This will result in major work figuring out what the hell the previous owner actually did do get a stock box panther computer to play with an HO cam.

I did the mass air swap. Not hard to do. Here is when I installed mine:http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post771344

And my notes for when I converted to HO with mass air:

Thanks for that......prettt much solidified my carb swap decision lol

Sent while like doing stuff and what not.
            1990 Crown Vic - Lowered, E303 cammed, Short tube headers, H-pipe and Thursh welded mufflers dumped....MANY UPDATES COMING

Comment

Shouldn't think there's a ton of harness work to do since mustangs went from SD to MAF from one year to another. Obviously there will be the MAF wiring and BS but otherwise I reckon it's not a HUGE deal. Computer will make the biggest difference.

Comment

Am I the only one catching that the car is running an HO firing order cam with a stock crown Victoria computer and he didnt do the work to get it running himself?

Nothing is going to work! One will have to return any wiring back stock then proceed.

I am still curious as to what computer is in there. I don't buy the stock box computer being installed.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I admit i didn't do the work. Bought the car the way it sits and the previous owner swears its the stock ecu and no h.o. conversion....i have no reason not to believe him lol

Comment

When you pull the ECM, post the 3 or 4 character code that's in really big letters. That will tell what ECM it is and settle the debate.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Gonna try and get it pulled today but for a quite a bit on the docket here at work today

Comment

I wouldn't touch it until you're ready to modify stuff. Leave it alone until you actually need to pull it.

Comment

I've decided to leave it and just start piecing together my new combo. To get dropped in come spring.

Comment

Hey fellas, I know this is an old thread, but looking for a little advice. 91cv lopo 80k bone stock except radio. Want to do ho conversion, but hate to tear into such a good running car but it's a slug. Opportunity to get running stock motor out of 92 mustang on the cheap. Unsure on miles, but it's all there. Is it worth going through that motor and dropping in rather than fooling around building Frankenstein? Plan to regear rear discs and add dual exhaust. Do I need an ecm swap? Guessing if I go back someone has answered that one.
                            1991 lx. Grandmas car. 80k. Garage queen

Comment

If it is a good running engine and doesn't use excessive oil I would run it. Maybe do a Regasket just to be safe. If you use an HO cam you must use a compatible ECM.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

What mity said. If I was going to do a swap, I'd just throw a whole engine in there (after regasketing it) and be done with it. I'm leaning toward an exploader motor these days but honestly, I'd never swap my Townie. I don't drive it daily any more and for the weekend cruising or ice cream shop runs it does nowadays it's perfect and original.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X