Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a stock Lo-Po now, but it's getting some E7s', HO cam, HO upper and TB. Along with a Holley Systemax 1 lower next spring. Just a basic HO swap.

Would the '90 Town Car manifolds flow enough for that combo? There is a set hanging on the wall in the garage, and if they flow enough, why get headers? Other than the fact that they look cool
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Why get headers? Because stock manifolds are restrictive. That's why the 5L HO came stock with shorties.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        Why get headers? Because stock manifolds are restrictive. That's why the 5L HO came stock with shorties.

I know they're restrictive, but was wondering if they flowed well enough to handle a stock HO.

Headers it is!
        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
          It's a stock Lo-Po now, but it's getting some E7s', HO cam, HO upper and TB. Along with a Holley Systemax 1 lower next spring. Just a basic HO swap.

Would the '90 Town Car manifolds flow enough for that combo? There is a set hanging on the wall in the garage, and if they flow enough, why get headers? Other than the fact that they look cool
          It really depends if you want to redo the rest of the exhaust or not. The big ticket with the Lincoln Logs is that they bolt directly to the factory down pipes.

If you just want to get it together and running, and you already have the LL's, I probably would go that route and upgrade in the future. It's not doubt that you'd make more power with Mustang headers and exhaust, but how much is the big question.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Power is not the only thing. You want the engine to breathe for efficiency. We all know you can go too big, then make things worse. But, manifolds are just poo lol. They don't even really flow. I'm sure even the Lincoln logs flow better than manifolds. But, money does matter. Do things a bit at a time.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

That's kinda what I was planning to do. I was going to put the Lincoln Logs on and run it for awhile and see what it does. The car already has dual 2". Which I'm sure is enough for the lopo, but.. not enough for the HO? But I almost hate to replace it all. It's been on for 6 years next march, but it still has the stickers on it. I also want to this to be a learning experience, and what better way than to play with multiple options.

Off topic, but will the exhaust system off the box fit on the '92? I won't feel guilty about replacing still shiny pipes if I can put them on another car.

Comment

I would like to add that if you swap to a 140mph PI speedo that you need to take the circuit board or whatever you call it off the back of your 85mph speedo so that you are able to scan the car for codes if need be because the 85mph speedo has a working CEL and the 140mph speedo does not. I am talking about the thin plastic thing that the thin copper wires and light bulbs attach to. If this is not done you cannot retrieve codes because the circuit will not be complete and you will get a long audible tone vs the normal beeps from the code reader.

Comment

Originally posted by TrapSpeed111 View Post
                  I would like to add that if you swap to a 140mph PI speedo that you need to take the circuit board or whatever you call it off the back of your 85mph speedo so that you are able to scan the car for codes if need be because the 85mph speedo has a working CEL and the 140mph speedo does not. I am talking about the thin plastic thing that the thin copper wires and light bulbs attach to. If this is not done you cannot retrieve codes because the circuit will not be complete and you will get a long audible tone vs the normal beeps from the code reader.
                  Some 140 clusters do have the CEL. Regardless, it's a good idea to swap the printed circuit anyways because you gain 2 additional illumination lights that are not present on the 140 cluster.
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I agree and I did notice that the cluster illumination was brighter toward the bottom where the fuel gauge and gear selector indicator is. I think the carb'd cars lacked the CEL and the 90-91 cars had working CEL's but I could be wrong. Hey we learn new things everyday

Comment

Great thread! Thanks so much for the original post. I won't be doing this to my car for a very long time since I just bought it, but parts hunting is always exciting lol I'll be scouring local swap meets and Craigslist for all these goods in the mean time.

Comment

I'd skip most of the HO stuff and start hunting 5.0 Explorers.
                        A decade ago HO swaps were neat, but nowadays, there's no reason not to go with a full gt40 swap

Comment

I'm going to bolt some crap on the lopo for a while, then probably stick a worked-over HO or stroker in with aluminum heads, etc. Maybe even do a blower. Anybody changed to HO-type accessory drive system? That would be ideal so a centrifugal blower could be easily mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                            I'm going to bolt some crap on the lopo for a while, then probably stick a worked-over HO or stroker in with aluminum heads, etc. Maybe even do a blower. Anybody changed to HO-type accessory drive system? That would be ideal so a centrifugal blower could be easily mounted.
                            Can't answer that. But I do know of someone who ran all explorer accessories. So it's definitely doable. Would require a bunch of rewiring, a different water pump and probably some custom hoses, since we have a steering box and mustangs have rack and pinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              I'd skip most of the HO stuff and start hunting 5.0 Explorers.
                              A decade ago HO swaps were neat, but nowadays, there's no reason not to go with a full gt40 swap
                              I'm gonna leave the long block alone, just do the HO upper/TB and shorties along with 4.10 gears, and once the engine is worn out I'll put in a fresh block with GT40 heads/intake. I think those few things are worth it since it's not too involved or expensive.
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

There's a 92 Mark 7 in the junkyard near my house. I should pull the heads and ecu for this. Intake and injectors are gone but the long block is there.

Comment

Working...
                                X