Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all BS anyway. Not like anyone even cares. Just toss an aftermarket 70mm on it or swap to carb....

Prolly a typo, but I can't edit it anyway.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Dave84
      H.O's have a differnt fireing order 2 do they not? so would they have a differnt crank to? or no?
      They basically just swapped some cylinders from a compression stroke to an exhaust stoke. Not sure why, but I guess it makes more HP some how.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark
        They basically just swapped some cylinders from a compression stroke to an exhaust stoke. Not sure why, but I guess it makes more HP some how.
        The lopo runs smoother, but is harder on the bearings. The HO takes the stress off the mains, but isn't as smooth. That's why all lopo's have that knock.

Comment

The 302 lopo firing order is the same as the small block Chevrolet (actual cylinder firing order, not numerically). The 351/302HO firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 on the Ford, 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 on the LS1) was adopted by GM for the LS1 because its just simply a better firing order; much more even force distribution along the crankshaft which GREATLY reduces bearing wear and results in a longer lasting engine that will stand up to a lot more abuse.
          Last edited by OVERKILL; 12-19-2006, 05:37 PM.
          1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
            The lopo runs smoother, but is harder on the bearings. The HO takes the stress off the mains, but isn't as smooth. That's why all lopo's have that knock.
            Oh I did not know this that could explain a lot and so could a sound bite of Vicky she has this ?scream? like its coming from a bearing or something? it's somthing you would have to hear in order to know what it is......
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Scream, Not bearings...It's a knock. Scream is prolly the transmission. Friggin annoying AOD noise.

Comment

It also happens when in park if we rev it sometimes screams/squeals but it seems like it happens more when driving if we step on it to "pass" somebody it also screams ...VERY EMBARRASSING.....so new tranny?
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

if that's the problem...could be a few different things, belts, accessory bearings....My tranny in my old sedan sounded like a supercharger, everyone though the car was supercharged. Everyone was so surprised to see that it was N/A while I was sitting in the staging lanes...

Comment

Ok I read all the posts in here & I have a question....Which is cheeper & easer the HO conversion or jst swapwith an Explorer ???
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

All depends on the parts and your skill. The HO conversion was way cheaper for me, but the explorer makes much more power.

In a CFI case, a explorer motor or a complete HO with a carb would be the best route.

Comment

If I do just swap how much modifacation work wiil be needed to hook it up to my factory trans ? & will my wiring & stuff work ?? I'll be puting on a shift kit & changing the gear ratio But first I want to get the motor up to my specs. I have taken a motor out before but I have never installed. Its pretty much the same as removal just in reverse I assume. I have very little knowledge but I am a fast learner. I do know a lot more than someone who has never poped there hood. But I am definately still a novice. So I am just gessing but the Explorer is my best bet. What yrears of Explorers should I be looking for?
                        sigpic

Comment

Any with the 5.0, 96-99 or so IIRC. Look through this forum for the carb swap threads. Intake, carb, lokar TV cable, need to decide on fuel pump setup, etc. All the info is in a few threads. The install is pretty much reverse of removal. Pretty simple.

Comment

can i just use the HO cams injectors and computer on my 86? cuz word on the street is that the mass air intake requires some different wiring. also, what heads can i use, u only mentioned 87 and up? or if i do choose to use the intake that u mentioned ( is that the mass air?) u only mentioned 87 and up for that too!

Comment

The intake is the same mass air or not. It's the pipe going to the intake that changes, and there is some minor wiring changes. For the HO stuff, go for the 87-up 5.0L heads, from a mustang or truck. 86 panthers are the same as 87-up. So all the mods are the same.

Comment

alright so will the intake come with the pipe that i need or what? will i need a stang wiring harness or what will i need to do the HO conversion, besides heads, intake, cams, etc?

Comment

Working...
                                X