This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rab View Post
    what does the comp ratio come out to be,with the ho conversion on a lopo 5.0
    anyone have a idea?

Comment

between 8.7 and 9...
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
        lifters, pushrods, rocker arms are all the same yes
        ... though one should always check to make sure lifter preload is correct (one of my engines was OK, the other one I finally bought some longer pushrods to quiet some of the clatter).

I take it, though, most guys are able to get away without getting longer pushrods?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Can't use a roller camshaft in an 84 block unless you buy those expensive link bar retrofit lifters. Can't use flat lifters on a roller camshaft either.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          lifters, pushrods, rocker arms are all the same yes
          Very confused. So can one use stock lifters from lets say an 87 crown vic on a highoutput cam from an 86 and up high output car, or explorer?
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The rockers are all the same from about 1978 onward
            roller lifters are the same from 86 onward
            pushrods are basically the same for all roller motors, but lengths might be somewhat different depending on application

There are several block castings, but the only thing thats really relavent is that 86+ car engines are roller motors, and 84- are flat tappet motors. 85 is a mixed bag, so we just won't get into that.

So in short, yes you can use an 86 HO cam with your 87 lopo roller lifters. Both motors have roller cams, so its not an issue. If you were trying to use 1984 flat tappet lifters with an 86 roller cam, it would be a huge disaster.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ah ok ok. My dad was insisting that my car does not have roller lifters. I just needed to have that cleared up!
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok guys I'm slowly learning about all this engine talk and such, I catch on quick, so don't think I'm going to ask a million and one questions (I'm no N00B) lol

So I have the 302 in my Town Car...
                If I get the following parts

E7 Heads
                HO computer (ECM)
                HO intake
                HO Throttle body
                and and HO cam
                aftermarket shortie headers
                and adjust the timing

Edit: What about headers?

I have dual exhaust now, so redo and get an H-pipe with a catback

I will have an HO town car? Around what would the power increase be?
                Last edited by Djonemore; 06-22-2009, 01:59 AM.
                1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 @ 125K /// 2007 Hyundai Sonata 3.3 @ 29K

Comment

You will need 19lb injectors as well as a bored out egr spacer. And then you will just have all of the parts for a High Output conversion. Once you install then you have a High Output Town Car.

Just get some headers that are meant for Fox bodied Mustangs. They will be fine, the you will need a Fox bodied H-pipe to connect to the headers, then i recommend heading to an exhaust shop and getting the rest done up with some good piping. Or you can figure out how to adapt the existing exhaust to the new H-Pipe
                  ~David~

Comment

anything wrong with, or more difficult, involved etc. etc. with using a mustang mass air ecm and wiring, maf sensor, setup verses the speed density one? any disadvantages?

Comment

Originally posted by 70torino429 View Post
                      anything wrong with, or more difficult, involved etc. etc. with using a mustang mass air ecm and wiring, maf sensor, setup verses the speed density one? any disadvantages?
                      The wiring isn't too bad, but it's kinda messy and no clean looking MAF mounting solution. (without some expensive parts and tuning) SD you can keep integrated cruise on later model boxes too.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

can i do this to a 1983 Grand Marquis with electronic fuel injection 351 windsor.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                          can i do this to a 1983 Grand Marquis with electronic fuel injection 351 windsor.
                          I didn't think there were any EFI 351s except in trucks
                          Last edited by 1990LTD; 02-04-2010, 04:13 AM.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

he's got a weirdo CFI-converted 351.

You can't swap the 302 HO top end onto a 351, no. A 302 intake is not wide enough for a 351 block. You may be able to swap a 351 truck EFI intake onto it, and that'd certainly be a big power gain. I think you need a cowl hood though, and it'd def be more involved than a regular HO swap.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

you would need a cowl for a truck manifold (ive looked into it already). If you have the cheese and your are fortunate enought to find one, a stock F150 Lightning 351 manifold fits under the stock hood with no problems. Its just finding one, and then when you find one, paying for it.
                              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Got one. ; ) Can I has cookie?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                                Big plans

Comment

Working...
                                X