Exhaust Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Question

This has probably been answered before, but I cannot find it.
    I am finally ready to start saving up for the exhaust! I know for sure I want duals, but Im kind of doing it on a veeeery tight budget. I have two setups currently, and im going with flow and SOUND, with sound being the #1 priority.
    Im currently running a stock lopo, but after round one of upgrades, I plan on swapping in a mustang or explorer engine. Here Are my options:

Option 1 (Waaay Cheaper, mild, keep factory cats)
    Stock H-Pipe
    Mufflers (I want some sound, but not obnoxious)
    Stock Tailpipes
    Aprppriate extensions.

Option 2 (Pricy, Complicated, Loud, Big Power booster)
    stock mustang headers
    Mustang Cat eliminating H-Pipe
    dynomax super turbo mufflers
    2.5 inch tail pipes
    2.5 inch extendors

Im leaning heavily toward option 1 (1987cp, I'm still pondering your setup, plus your within 3 hours of my house), but if I do get option 1, what muffler should I get. I want sound, but I know it would be hard because of the cats. Feedback would be very apreciated.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Might as well do it right the first time, you won't be happy with stock stuff. Mustang headers aren't expensive, an h-pipe bolts right up, get a muffler shop to make some mid-pipes to the mufflers for around $80bux and use the stock 2" tail pipes. Here's what I paid:
    $50 headers
    $100ish for the off-road h-pipe
    $50 for midpipes to mufflers
    $100 for 2 flowmaster super 40's
    $150 for the dual tailpipes, b/c i had single exhaust

so around $450 in all
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

ok, that I can do (my dad works in a parts store and I can use his discount on the tailpipes). How do the flowmasters sound?
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

yeah, um, I priced that up, i would not be able to have the money by may (see readers ride thread for explanation). What would the best muffler to run on factory 2 " h-pipe? Now im going for hardcore sound here. What would glasspacks sound like? Also not too thrilled about running open pipes either (the cops around here dont like overly loud cars). SCOTT!!!!!!
        Last edited by hemihotrod402; 10-10-2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

With the cats on there, it would be pretty tame with glasspacks. Try it straight piped and it you have to just put the mufflers in after.
          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

I run a basic setup on my vic. Stock manifolds, magnaflow cats, h-pipe, glasspacks, and 2 1/4 tail pipes. This setup sounds impressive, but not offensive. Glasspacks are cheap, and get louder with age. Mine are about 6 yrs old. Shorter glasspacks are louder.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
            Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
            Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
            NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

from what you guys have said, Im going to get a stronger muffler (magnaflow), bolt it on, and see how it sounds. If I like it, I leave the manifolds and cats and just get a stock H-pipe. If Its not loud enough, I'll just throw out the cats, run aftermarket H-pipe, and mustang headers. Plus magnaflows have a lifetime warranty

Comment

I just put duals with magnaflows on my 91'. They are more mellow and deep sounding, not really all that loud. I still have stock manifolds and cats.

pics in post #6
                http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=31465

Sound clip/vids
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUXCs20ipSA
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_tzGEoIkww
                Former panther owner
                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I was talking to a guy earlier with a sweet 89 Caprice and he told me about a fairly good exhaust shop that has very reasonable prices (all told, his dual setup cost him about 375..2.5" pipes and about 3" tips). His exhaust setup looked well done and sounded great..cherry bombs in there as well. I'm gonna go talk to those guys on my day off to see what a similar system would set me back.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Actually I hope my system to be a bit smaller..I don't want to shake the earth, I just want my car to breathe better and hopefully wake up a little bit. Do you think 2.5" would be sufficient? I don't know if

andymac I just checked out your video and that's nearly the exact sound I want my car to have. What Magnaflows, and what size pipes?
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                      Actually I hope my system to be a bit smaller..I don't want to shake the earth, I just want my car to breathe better and hopefully wake up a little bit. Do you think 2.5" would be sufficient? I don't know if

andymac I just checked out your video and that's nearly the exact sound I want my car to have. What Magnaflows, and what size pipes?
                      and do you think you could get that sound with the 2 inch exhaust? And after seeing pics of it, I beleive it is the satin stainless mufflers (don't quote me on that)

Comment

I have a 351 car...

But back when I first had a 2.5" catback done (Flowmaster 40s), the car sounded really nice. Not raspy or anything, just really rumbly.

Then, a year later I added BBK headers and custom front pipes with Catco converters. It got louder still, and now I can hear the exhaust pulses very well.

But, I have $400 in the catback, $350 in headers, and $350 in front pipes on my car.

Knowing what I know now, I'd go a different route. If I was primary concerned with the sound...

I'd remove the entire factory system aft of the manifolds. Gut the factory converters, remove the smog lines, and reinstall. Without gutting the cats, or replacing them, it won't be that loud. Trust me.

Get a factory h pipe. Once upon a time, I used a stainless factory h from an '04 P71, and modified it to fit a an '88 P72. Some cheap mufflers. Expensive mufflers are kind of overrated. Glasspacks are kind of crappy, in my opinion.

Do what you have to do to get the mufflers fitted well. Use factory tailpipes.

It'll be adequate, and an improvement. It should make nice sounds too...
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

how hard is it exactly to gut the cuts out? This is looking better and better lol

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                            and do you think you could get that sound with the 2 inch exhaust? And after seeing pics of it, I beleive it is the satin stainless mufflers (don't quote me on that)

No and I didn't say I could. I have no idea what size pipes I am looking for, it's why I'm asking.
                            sigpic

Comment

If all you want is loud, factory style duals with no mufflers will probably be the easiest and cheapest route.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X