Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 merc marquis brougham + GMGT rebirth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 merc marquis brougham + GMGT rebirth!

well, if you havent already known, i bought the famous GMGT. although GMGT has seen better days, it makes it a perfect base for the rebirth of my 1981 merc marquis resto project. since it would have been pointless on trying to fix the underside and rotted out trunk and replace the frame of my '81, i set out to find a good body and frame to accept all the parts from it. well i was happy to run into one that had a bonus powertrain and suspension. GMGT(which is a '84 merc in case you may not know) is perfect except the rear quarter panel and a coolant issue, that is now fixed. not only is this a rebirth of my '81 merc(that has been in the family since new) but, is a opertunity for the rebirth of GMGT. once i get GMGTs body stripped, it will going for the body and paint. it will loose its vinyl roof but keep the center coach lamp molding and side moldings but, painted bittersweet red to resemble the vinyl roof color. the body will be painted in light pewter metallic. the interior will be the red interior from my car, duhh lol the wheels will stay along with the side exhaust. here are some pics and stay tuned!

take that how you want...lol

sure is!

i will be updating this as much as i can to keep you fellers posted!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

glad to see gmgt got there safe how did it go through customs? how is the dipstick tube I think I remember oil leaking past there a while ago

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Awesome. This will be a great thread to follow....

I have also been in your car before
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ah it brings a tear to my eye. I had many a good memory in that car. I'll miss you, GMGT mang!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

you made the right choice, you will be happy when im done with it...and your CVGT will be jelious lol

Comment

Nice! Are you going to put the correct era box front clip (or nose) back on there or are you going to straighten up the aero box front clip that's on there now? Otherwise, a nice project that just needs some shining up.

Packman

Comment

im putting everything on that is correct from 1981 even the front clip. only thing i might leave are the tail lights cause they have grown on me over the ones on my '81

Comment

How do 81 taillights look?
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

they look like this

Comment

eww. So when did those taillights run till? I know those are on the 79 as well so i am assuming they are on the 80 in addition to the 81...
                    ~David~

Comment

I agree, the current tailights on GMGT look better than the '81 IMO. Looks like you have one crappy tire on the rear or you have been enjoying one too many one-legged peel outs LOL. Poor tire.

Packman

Comment

'79 till '82 , i like them tail lights but like the newer ons a tad better

Comment

wasent me who killed the tire...some one else but, i wont mention any names lol

Comment

Well, it wasn't me, that's for sure! Oh wait, I did do a few lightups, oops But it's a good thing you're keeping the exhast, I like how it was done, all welded up and with big pipes - just put some nice shiny tips at the ends, and she'll be looking sharp.

Comment

be glad its got one new tire!.......94 bucks for that sucker............i needed tires for the wagon, and tom instructed me to wear them out cause they were starting to get dryrotted......that's exactly what we did lol

dipstick tube was replaced during scottfest 2007 gabe

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X