Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 merc marquis brougham + GMGT rebirth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will sound crazy and a waste of money, but I have put POR15 on the flanges of the exhaust and they seem to have held up. The one flange that I didn't paint rusted and came apart. Just my one cent.

Packman

Comment

That does sound crazy! So crazy that you might be right and it does work

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I saw those side exit mufflers, you could add a 45 to the outlet for the desired exit angle. I've found Spintechs to have a deep rumble like a FM but a more clean, toned sound without the hollow tone and bassy drone. I think I found out about them from fsc.com and after looking up sound clips and dyno vids, I like them a lot, those and Hooker Aerochamber.

The muffler world is a lot bigger than people think, time to branch out from the overplayed glasspack and FM40's.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Yea, there are is a shitload of product out there. Its not all good but, there is still better stuff than the norm. I think that people are comfortable with the typical mufflers. And with the price, people dont want to make pricy mistakes. Thats why it helps when people post sound clips.

Comment

You know what would go well with some new awesome sounding Spintechs? Dumping the slushbox and going to a TKO

I understand that's not a weekend job though, which is why i'm probably gonna jump on the Mustang/Camaro bandwagon, since I can just buy one with a stick-shift.

Comment

Nah, sticking with the slush box lol.

I discovered the both flowmaster and magnaflow, have same side inlet/outlet mufflers but, they seem to sound like shit. Same goes with pypes mufflers. Only the spintechs seem to sound good in the side exit set up.

Comment

this makes me want to make an exhaust vid of the Merc.. i got my mustang shortys on with 2.25 down pipes into 2" (sad i know. lol) then my $20 thrush glasspacks from the first exhaust build and 90's out the sides
                Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

did i see this car on craigslist recently or is it my imagination.

Comment

I hope its your imagination. Its possible some one was trolling my pics and used them for their own ad.

Comment

You ever get the exhaust figured out? I wanna say the Spintech Pro Streets (6000 series) are shorter than the Sportsman which are the same length as a Flowmaster 40, so they should fit with a 45 bend for side exits using a standard offset/offset. You'll have to measure first before buying anything but the Pro Streets would sound so mean, loud but they don't pop like the shorter Super Pro Streets. Lots of guys on the Chevy truck forums use Pro Streets, they sound awesome on any V8, especially a cammed one

Comment

Sorta, I figured I cant afford spintech mufflers right now lol. Im gonna have the car in my buddies shop saturday. Gonna install my new trans and then measure up my exhaust. Since my mufflers sit up nice and tucked away, I may loop the outlet around to come right under the muffler, then out the side. I was looking at it before and just might be the answer. Only other thing, I need to pick out some tips. I like the oval rounded lip tips

Comment

Got the trans installed in GMGT saturday. Its a lentech street terminator AOD/wide ratio. Its a nice unit and has a valve body that eliminates the AOD shuffle, by making over drive electronic. Only thing I need to do, install the trans cooler and wire up the O/D switch on the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16229586_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1272489

I think it looks good sitting there lol
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	16229587_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1272490

Comment

Last week, we got the exhaust installed. It worked out very nice. It helps that the mufflers can get tucked right up to the floor, with lots of room for the heat to escape. Only thing now, I have another header leak. So, I ordered a set of mr.gasket copper seal gaskets. Should be here this week.

Comment

Did you get the side exits made?

Comment

Yup! Had them installed about two weeks ago. Just trying to finish up all the little things before I get pics and start driving the car again. Time is my only enemy lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X