No announcement yet.

Trac-loc rebuild ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone else probably has a better picture than this, but here's one of mine that was worn out when I removed it.
    Attached Files

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Thanks guys now I know what too look for haha.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
        Thanks guys now I know what too look for haha.
        You might also be aware of another problem that might pop up (or out) when you remove the rear-end cover; adult badgers like to crawl into the rear-end housing via' the vent on top of the rear-end....and then they wrap themselves around the ring gear. It's not uncommon to find 7 or 8 dead badgers inside of the rear-end housing when you pop the cover off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
          You might also be aware of another problem that might pop up (or out) when you remove the rear-end cover; adult badgers like to crawl into the rear-end housing via' the vent on top of the rear-end....and then they wrap themselves around the ring gear. It's not uncommon to find 7 or 8 dead badgers inside of the rear-end housing when you pop the cover off.
          Good lookin out, thanks for the heads up LOL

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

My drivers side axle was pretty trashed.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

You shouldn't clearly see where the rollers were sitting, unless you pulled that axle after the car had been sitting for years. Kind of wierd to see that pattern, I'd expect a more uniform wear ring since the bearings roll across that area. What do the bearings themselves look like? If the axle looks like that, I'm sure they're toast but it might be interesting to see if the rollers are still round, or if they're flat spotted.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just ordered the 4.30 gear kit and trac-loc rebuild last night. Now hurry up and get here thanksgiving so I can install them LOL.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

Can you take pics!?
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm going to try to take pics and do a write up for you guys if at all possible.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      You shouldn't clearly see where the rollers were sitting, unless you pulled that axle after the car had been sitting for years. Kind of wierd to see that pattern, I'd expect a more uniform wear ring since the bearings roll across that area. What do the bearings themselves look like? If the axle looks like that, I'm sure they're toast but it might be interesting to see if the rollers are still round, or if they're flat spotted.
                      I honestly have no idea why it looked that bad. The passenger side was mint, and the bearings and seals looked new too. The wagon the axle was from was REALLY rotted out underneath, but the body was still decent so it probably was sitting for a long time. It had brand new exhaust pipes and rear breaks though, so I guess someone put it back on the road for a little bit then cash for clunkered it.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

maybe the bearings were screwed and then replaced, but they didn't replace the axle shafts?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I took a few pics of my rebuild when scott rebuild mine this past weekend I got to post them my original axles were trashed the right side was groved in pretty bad. the left side was pitted bad. my master rebuild kit was 76 bucks on ebay. and my clutchs for the trac lock was 82 shipped on ebay. they are carbon fiber cluthes

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I though I took more pics then this oh well

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                            X