The story of me me me and my marquis '' A long one ''

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The story of me me me and my marquis '' A long one ''

So, I thought I would make a thread for my car since I haven't yet haha anyway. I got the car about a year and a half ago my 4th panther btw. So my buddy owns a towing company, and i guess the old lady who had it died and it set for a couple years, then her grand kids decided to take a joy ride and the car got towed by my buddy and he somehow or the other came into ownership of it and offered it to me. I couldn't resist almost perfect interior, the clear on the hood roof and deck lid is faded and coming off but almost no rust at all. But it was in horrible mechanical condition from sitting for 2 years, but I didn't care. So I picked it up. Then on the way home it broke down, alternator belt broke, which caused the battery to die and left me stranded. It had gotten dark so I had to wait till the next day to put the new belt on, got the new belt on and away I went. Then the tranny starts acting up not wanting to shift and such, So I thought it would just need the fluid and filter changed and the TV pressure set and we would be good. So I got it home and did all the maitinence that weekend full tune up, along with the tranny fluid and filter change. Everything was good started driving it to work and getting it cleaned up. So I drove it for about 2 weeks and the tranny started acting up again, then within 3 days it was dead haha, every gear was first gear you know the story. I got it to my house and started reading a little and decided on a mustang tranny, for the higher shift points and the sprag retainer fix or whatever it is. I then went to my favorite local mustang junk yard and picked up an aod out of a 90 gt for a cool $200, I also snagged a set of stock mustang headers as a freebie while I was there, time for some new exhaust lol. So I went home and chopped off the stock exhaust, it needed to go anyway the the whole side of the muffler was blown out, then I pulled the old tranny out, and swapped out the shifter levers on the trannys, and stuck the new one in the car. I replaced both U joints while I was under there also. So I was back on the road and cruising again haha. That lasted for about 2 months and the poor lopo developed a very bad bottom end knock. Time for a H.O. swap, and mass air conversion YAY! Back to my favorite mustang junk yard to pick up the H.O., got one from a 92 LX 5.0. for $600. Then I did a little shopping on ebay and picked up and A9P ecu, a 70mm mass air meter cal'd for 19lb injectors, and a MAF meter wiring pigtail, got everything for $200. Started pulling out the old engine, yuck what a leaking greasy POS, good ridence. I then set the engines down side by side and started swapping brackets over and reversing the upper intake. Also at this time I put on a new water pump, replaced the pcv screen and gave it a good degreasing bath, and replaced the valve cover gaskets also. I was ready to put it back in, had it in there and hooked up in about 2 hours. I also decided to replace all my hoses at this time. Now hrmm what to do about my intake so I can use my mass air, and what to do about the egr spacer. I took some measurements and ran over to my local exhaust shop the next day and had them cut me a piece of 3'' tubing with a flare to 3.25'' on one end so it would fit snugly in the stock intake elbow. Now on the the egr, since I deleted all that stuff anyway I thought I would just order a mustang egr delete plate and do a little modding to my throttle cable bracket and make it work, so thats exactly what I did. I chose to go this route also because the local machine shop wanted $80 to bore the stock spacer and I was like F that lol. Okay so all that is taken care of time to wire the mass air sensor, searched for a while and found instructions I liked, and knocked it out in about an hour, super easy the hardest part was getting the cover slid back far enough to de-pin the ecu connector. All done wired and ready to run right? Wrong. I absolutly hate clutch fans, and my electric fan had not came yet, I know I can start it without a fan, but I waited anyway. It was there 3 days later. I wired it up and had it working. Now its time for the first start with the new engine and ecu, cycled the key a few times to get fuel pressure, then went for the start, it started up and ran perfect just like I had been driving everyday LOL I was so happy. I had my self a H.O. box haha. The joy only lasted for about a week though and the alternator died, &*%$# . You know what its time for now dont you? Yep 3G swap. So back to the junkyard to pic up a used 3G, and ordered the wiring kit and charge cable kit from www.rjminjection.com, the parts showed up in a few days and I did the swap in about an hour and half because I had to do a little grinding on the alt bracket to get more adjustment out of it cause the next size up belt I could find was to long and the stock one was just slightly to short, but a little clearance on the backet fixed that. Now I was all set, but wait the car had came with shitty dry rotted tires on the turbines, and a set of stealies on the back with studded snow tires on them. So I needed some fresh white walls and a serious cleanup on the turbines to get it looking fresh, so I got some oven cleaner and paint stripper and stripped the wheels down and cleaned them and smoothed the curb marks out, and I like purple and I had seen a few silver low riders with purple wires and I liked it. So I ran down to walmart and found a nice purple and went home and painted my turbines, I also made a curly cue antenna and painted it purple while I was at it 80's style lol. The next day I took my wheels down to the tires shop, bought a set of white wall tires and new valve stems and had them installed, came home and put them on the car. Man did it look sweet, life was good. Then it was nothin' but daily service and cruisin with it not stop for about a year with no proplems what so ever. Then about 4 months ago the front seal and bearing went out on the power steering pump, so I bought a new pump and stuck it on there and its been good for the past 4 months. That brings us to now. I've got another daily driver so the marquis could go full blown toy/project and I could do whatever I wanted with it. I'm currently collecting parts for a dart based turbo 351w build, and some misc goodies to do a wire tuck while im at it. This has been one of my favorite cars I have ever owned, very very rewarding replacing everything and doing it all my self, plus I like to tinker with my cars all the time so ive enjoyed it very much up to this point, and you cant beat the look on peoples faces when they see that it actually runs pretty good for a big heavy grandpa car haha.

CLIFFS : I suck at grammar and punctuation

Anyway here are my pics from start to finish

The oldest pics I have are while I was doing the H.O. swap

Here it is with the steels and studded snow tires on it

Interior

lopo out

New H.O. ready to go in

H.O. freshly installed

Modified throttle cable bracket on a mustang egr delete

Engine in and running with everything hooked up before I put my overflow tank back in and shortened my intake tube

Close up of the flared intake tube and mustang egr delete plate

Over flow tank installed and intake shortened

purple wheels with the new whitewalls and my purple curly antenna

First pictures of car after swap and painted wheels and new tires

Interior goodies

Fan switch

Hidden xm with the console open

My tree farm LOL

Some nice shots of the car

Electric pusher fan

3G swap

3G charge wire and breaker location

Some more nice shots of the car

Well thats it I hope you've enjoyed getting to know the story of my car and I a little better.

Comments and input welcome.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

I will see if I can find the instructions for the maf conversion.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

awesome!
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Love the box...Thanks for creating this thread!
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

91 H.O. grand marquis

Thanks for the comments guys.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

So I havent updated in awhile and I have been doing a little tinkering, and its drag strip season again so I will be playing with it to see how quick I can make it. I'm doing it the scientific way FYI lol. I wanna see exactly what improvments I get from what mods.

Last season
            E.T. 10.90's
            60 ft. 2.5
            mph. 62

That was with the following combo

stock H.O.
            mass air conversion
            70mm mass air meter
            short ram intake with a cone filter
            egr delete
            smog delete
            a/c delete
            electric fan
            mustang transmission
            stock H.O. headers
            2 1/4 single exhaust with a flowmaster 40 series
            3.08 gears and worn out trak loc

Over the winter I picked up a set of ford racing 4.30 gears and a rebuild kit for my trak loc. Installed the gears and rebuilt the trak loc with 8 clutchs.

First trip to the drag strip with just the gears and a fresh trak loc got me.

E.T. 10.27
            60 ft. 2.3
            mph. 65

I rescently installed no name 1 5/8'' shorty headers, with bbk 2.5'' off road
            h-pipe, and slp lm1's hanging off the end. I havent made it to the track yet but there is a noticable improvment. I am hoping for a 10.0? pass with the new exhaust.

After I get a pass in with the exhaust next on the list is a tune up with ford racing plug wires. Some good plugs, and a good cap and rotor. Now the reason a new air filter isnt on that list is because I am redoing my intake setup, to move the air filter out of the engine bay, and im using a 4'' inlet 12'' long cone filter from anderson motorsports. If I can fit the new filter where the old one is on my current intake setup I will test it along with the tune up. But if not the tune up will ave to be tested with an old filter.

The trip to test the new exhaust is scheduled for this coming friday june, 25

I am hoping for high 9 sec passes this season with just basic bolt ons and a H.O. I also have a n2o kit laying around. I think I am goin to spray it at the end of the season and go for a high 8 sec pass.

Anywho I hope this can be informitive to people to know what kind of performance gains to expect from certain mods.

Enjoy.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Only 1/8 miles tracks near ya'? I like what you have showed us thus far. This is a good way to break it down and document.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

found it rick lol

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

Updates I guess lol. The car went 9.99 @ 70 mph with the new exhaust and headers. I took it to virginia, and the front pump seal blew on the tranny on the way to a meet down there. I had it hauled back to ohio pulled out the tranny, traded my beloved lightning intake for a supposed fresh AOD. I get the new tranny in the car and it wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear it only has 1st and 2nd. So I call the guy up that I got it from, he says they shop he had build it has a warrenty so I take it back to him to get it rebuilt ( and hopfully have 3rd and 4th this time ). I got the tranny back a few month ago and thats where I am at now. I am saving money for a dirty dogg 3000 converter and a silverfox valve body. The marquis is patiently waiting in the garage lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

newest pics of the marquis

at the carwash before the meet

on the trailer after the tranny seal blew

new tranny

waiting for the new tranny

a little racing

sittin pretty, with fresh paint on the wheels and new tires

well thats it for now. cheers boys

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

I sold the pit bike. So... I will be purchasing the new valve body for my tranny shortly. Then its on to the converter. I am going to call dan at silverfoxx transmissions tomorrow and discuss my current combo and see which vb he recomends. Though I am thinking of the SPT-1 stage 2. But we shall see what he says. I really really want to have this thing ready for scott fest, I have alot of money needed to get it where I want between now and then but I am gonna stop partying and start pinching pennys.
                      Anywho I will keep you guys updated as I move forward.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

I tried calling Dan yesterday, but couldn't reach him.

Instead I ordered my converter... Hopefully I can talk to him today, and the get the valve body into 'work flow'.

I think I'll be going with the SPT-R stage 2... maybe stage 3? I told him as crisp as possible without carnage.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

well I couldnt get ahold of him today. So I am gonna leave him a message and see if I can get him to call back.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

I talked to him via email today. He said he might try and call me tonight, but that he was busy. He didn't, so I guess I will call him tomorrow.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Sounds good mang. I suppose I will email him in the morning

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X