'79-'89 box dash removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79-'89 box dash removal

how many of you guys removed a late box dash? i have never had the opertunity to do so my self. is it a stuggle or fairly simple? my 81 ford manual isent very specific when it comes to the dash.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

basically removed anything you see.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah what he said , remove anything you see
      sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
      87 mercury grand marquis
      88 crown vic lx
      89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
      89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
      00 ford crown vic lx hpp
      03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

1 on each side of the dash pad (by the door)
        2 above each defrogger vent (caerful with these, ive lost two already)
        All the screws above the wood dash trim going into the dash pad.

Voila! its out
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

im talking about the dash its self, not the dash pad...lol

Comment

probably help a hell of a lot to drop the steering column. Also have to remove the kick panels, there is a bolt on each side holding the dash in place.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
              im talking about the dash its self, not the dash pad...lol
              oooh, my bad. then go with everything everyone else said. Take out every screw you can see.
              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

A lot of randomly placed screws.. and you have also to loose the clips holding the wiring harness - it also holds dash. I have to say that shop manual has not been helpful at all in this case.

It took me about one, or two hours. It looks really interesting then..

Last edited by Lord Iffy; 11-04-2009, 12:05 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

now that would be easy for a heater core job lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                    now that would be easy for a heater core job lol
                    Not really, the frame of the dash is still in the way, which is the thing that is blocking access to the heater core, since it is on the top.

There are some hex head/ phillips screws under the dash pad along the windshield. 4 or 6. I can't remember. You have to drop the steering column as well, that is if you are taking the entire thing out, that is, the colored part and the metal frame that's in the picture above. There are two bolts on the sides, behind the kick panels like Dave said, and there's also a nut bolted right where the steering column was.
                    Out of curiousity, how far do you want it removed? Out of the car? Away from the firewall?

Comment

I believe he is hgoing out of the car with this one. Gonna be swapping in a marquis dash.
                      ~David~

Comment

since im removing anything blue from insside car to make romm for my bitter sweet red interior, i need to remove just the plastic part of the dash. i started aready to take it out but have to hold off on dropping the steering so i can still move the car around. i still need to get my '81 to the shop to strip the parts off.

Comment

the actual dash behind the trim moldings are the same. I see what you're going to do. Going for the red dash for GMGT right?

Comment

you got-er mang! complete red interior and light pewter metallic paint on the outside with a dark red paint where the old vinyl is

Comment

Thank you. That was the only thing that bugged me about GMGT was the vic dash. I LOVE marquis dashes.
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X