Removing balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing balancer

I've removed the big pulley on the bottom attached the crankshaft.

How do u remove the harmonic balancer or is it called the vibration damper I have the harmonic puller but how do I lock the engine in place so I can crank at it to take it off

If you have access to air tools, an impact gun usually makes quick work of it. Otherwise, using a good old fashioned breaker bar, you'll have to turn it with quick jerking motions to keep ahead of it. It can be a bit of a pain, but it's definitely doable provided your engine has some amount of compression left.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

A harmonic balancer puller can be handy a lot of the time as well. It'll become obvious once you get the balancer bolt off. On my old factory balancer, it needed both the puller and installer kits to get it on and off (rented for free at AutoZone). On a cheapo aftermarket balancer I bought, it slid right on with no help.

Run a couple of long bolts into the balancer's bolt holes and hold it with a prybar while you loosen the balancer bolt with a 15/16" socket and a 18" or longer breaker bar.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Oh, right, dumb question, but you did remove the bolt from the center, right? It's often a good idea once you've removed the bolt to turn it back in a quarter inch or so just to give the puller something to push against.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

No I just removed the pulley ok so should remove that large bolt in the middle first?

Comment

Yes. That's going to hold the balancer in place, and without it removed, you can crank all day and you'll never move a thing. Take that out and I think you'll find it comes apart very easily. Again, if you have access to air tools, it'll make that part of the job easier as well. Good luck.

Comment

Is it really that difficult to get a small block's balancer off? I just pulled one off a 200ci I6 with the head off. I used an impact gun to get the bolt out but then just cranked the balancer puller with a 3/8" ratchet. It was almost as if I could've pulled it off by hand.

Comment

I don't have any access to any air tool, how would I keep the crankshaft from not moving

Comment

Well, you could use a bolt through one of the spark plug holes to act as a piston stop. I'd consider rounding the tip of the bolt though, and take care to not cross thread it.

Comment

cool ill give it a try

Comment

I always use a long breaker bar and bump start the engine.. make sure you got the direction right and pull the coil wire off the distributor.
                      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

besides i dont care about the threading of the spark plug holes cause im going to change the heads too. Im just concerned if I jam a bolt in there that i would screw up a piston with all that force of the cranking being applied to them

Comment

cld makes a good suggestion, too. Disable the ignition system, put your socket and breaker bar on there, and then let it rest against the frame rail or whatever's handy that will keep the bar from turning. Then, bump the engine over with the starter a couple of times, and voila. You'll probably have to hold the bar in place by hand so it doesn't just fall off, so make absolutely sure that you're not going to get hands/arms/hair caught in any moving parts.

Comment

i took off the spark plugs and the wire along with th altanator so i guess that cant be an option...........shit!!!

Comment

You can still turn the engine over without spark plugs or an alternator.

Comment

Working...
                              X