PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing balancer

Arrow Removing balancer

I've removed the big pulley on the bottom attached the crankshaft.

How do u remove the harmonic balancer or is it called the vibration damper I have the harmonic puller but how do I lock the engine in place so I can crank at it to take it off

Working with half my brain tied behind my back just to make it fair Nathan in MI's Avatar

If you have access to air tools, an impact gun usually makes quick work of it. Otherwise, using a good old fashioned breaker bar, you'll have to turn it with quick jerking motions to keep ahead of it. It can be a bit of a pain, but it's definitely doable provided your engine has some amount of compression left.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

A harmonic balancer puller can be handy a lot of the time as well. It'll become obvious once you get the balancer bolt off. On my old factory balancer, it needed both the puller and installer kits to get it on and off (rented for free at AutoZone). On a cheapo aftermarket balancer I bought, it slid right on with no help.

Run a couple of long bolts into the balancer's bolt holes and hold it with a prybar while you loosen the balancer bolt with a 15/16" socket and a 18" or longer breaker bar.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

Working with half my brain tied behind my back just to make it fair Nathan in MI's Avatar

Oh, right, dumb question, but you did remove the bolt from the center, right? It's often a good idea once you've removed the bolt to turn it back in a quarter inch or so just to give the puller something to push against.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

No I just removed the pulley ok so should remove that large bolt in the middle first?

Yes. That's going to hold the balancer in place, and without it removed, you can crank all day and you'll never move a thing. Take that out and I think you'll find it comes apart very easily. Again, if you have access to air tools, it'll make that part of the job easier as well. Good luck.

I love it when a plan comes together CheeseSteakJim's Avatar

Is it really that difficult to get a small block's balancer off? I just pulled one off a 200ci I6 with the head off. I used an impact gun to get the bolt out but then just cranked the balancer puller with a 3/8" ratchet. It was almost as if I could've pulled it off by hand.

I don't have any access to any air tool, how would I keep the crankshaft from not moving

I love it when a plan comes together CheeseSteakJim's Avatar

Well, you could use a bolt through one of the spark plug holes to act as a piston stop. I'd consider rounding the tip of the bolt though, and take care to not cross thread it.

cool ill give it a try

I'm ridin on a dolphin, doing flips and shit cld783's Avatar

I always use a long breaker bar and bump start the engine.. make sure you got the direction right and pull the coil wire off the distributor.
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

besides i dont care about the threading of the spark plug holes cause im going to change the heads too. Im just concerned if I jam a bolt in there that i would screw up a piston with all that force of the cranking being applied to them

cld makes a good suggestion, too. Disable the ignition system, put your socket and breaker bar on there, and then let it rest against the frame rail or whatever's handy that will keep the bar from turning. Then, bump the engine over with the starter a couple of times, and voila. You'll probably have to hold the bar in place by hand so it doesn't just fall off, so make absolutely sure that you're not going to get hands/arms/hair caught in any moving parts.

i took off the spark plugs and the wire along with th altanator so i guess that cant be an option...........shit!!!

You can still turn the engine over without spark plugs or an alternator.

how do i do that? im sorry but can u explain it step by step so i can fully understand it

Not a problem. Just set up your socket and breaker bar like I described before, and then use the starter motor to turn the engine. The starter should have enough strength to both turn the engine and break that bolt loose, especially since the spark plugs are out and it won't have to fight the engine's compression anymore.

I'm ridin on a dolphin, doing flips and shit cld783's Avatar

just make absolutely sure you have it in proper direction to loosen the bolt.. the engine is gonna spin one way and the bar will be wedged on either the ground or a part of the frame/suspension.. when you bump the engine over it will loosen the crank bolt, all it takes is a little bump and it will be loose....

you definetely dont wanna be anywhere near the bar, definetely not holding it.. just be patient and if it falls off put it back on and start over..

take your time and think about it, be extremely careful or just use an air tool..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-FsVvNr40
    Last edited by cld783; 11-03-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

sorry for asking so many questions ok let's get the straight to remove the large bolt I can position a breaker bar in the direction to remove the bolt. I can place it on the frame so I wouldn't get hurt so after putting it in place I guess that I give the engine a bumb which I think means to put the key in the ignition and give it a quick crank? Please correct me

Just hit the starter real quick and check the bolt to see if it's loose. Try again if it's still tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast