Big brake swap wheel discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big brake swap wheel discussion

Okay so I wanna do the big brake swap, with the rear disc swap. Now heres the question I plan on running 16'' police wheels on the street but I want a big and little setup for the strip, im lookin at the weld pro stars in a 15x4 will these clear the front and rear brakes? I know some of the stang guys runs a spacer to clear the caliper with the pbr swap, so that is an option also. I guess if it comes down to it I can just fork over the cash for some 17x4.5 alumastars or 17x4.5 magnum 2.0's

Please discuss

im very interested in what you all think. Also what backspacing would you all suggest?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

I guess if you stuck the wheels out far enough, you might get away with a 15, but you'd need some really wierd offset to do it. Heck, I have 16" Mark VII wheels on my car, and I had to grind the caliper down to fit properly with 1 1/4" spacers. With a less chunky 16" wheel, you don't have to do that but there isn't a whole lot of extra room in there around the calipers. You'd be better off just getting wheels that will clear.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting haha. I guess im gonna have to shell out the cash for some 17'' alumastars for the front. Any idea if 15's will clear the rotors in the back on a 92-97 axle?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

I don't mean to question your decisions, but does your car really need big and littles? I mean, is that really a required purchase for it? Seems to me the police wheels and some widish tires should be more than enough for most Panthers here.

It just doesn't seem like it's that serious of a track car to be throwing money away on a set of "track wheels/tires"

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
          Interesting haha. I guess im gonna have to shell out the cash for some 17'' alumastars for the front. Any idea if 15's will clear the rotors in the back on a 92-97 axle?

factory 92-97 wheels were 15"... So that would be a yes.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
            I don't mean to question your decisions, but does your car really need big and littles? I mean, is that really a required purchase for it? Seems to me the police wheels and some widish tires should be more than enough for most Panthers here.

It just doesn't seem like it's that serious of a track car to be throwing money away on a set of "track wheels/tires"
            +1 ... at what ET do, say, Mustang guys usually buy a pair of slicks in the first place, let alone a full set of strip wheels? I highly doubt any benefit will be seen on a 15 second snoozemobile.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I had 15s on the back of my Dad's '99 P71 when the frame was out from under it.

The benefits of lightweight wheels are surprising. Less unsprung weight, rotating mass/ inertia, etc.

The rear wheels are what really matters, in this case, though.

If you're having a hard time hooking your car (due to too much power, or poor suspension design), slicks will do alot for your 60 ft times. Of course, eventually if the suspension is the problem, you're going to have to do something about it to maximize your performance.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

This is for the future guys, I am building a turbo 351 which should easily be in the 700rwhp range. A little off subject but speaking of which look what showed up at my door the other day. I didnt wanna tell you guys till I had gathered more parts. But as of right now I have a roller 351 block, the turbo, and a 351 super vic efi intake with the medium height elbow, and the edelbrock rails. Thats all I have collected so far, heads are the next on the list.

Here is a pic of my turbo
                Borg warner S475 with a 1.32 A/R t6 exhaust housing

Not my baby by the way just a pic for size comparison

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

LOL at using a baby for size comparison
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If that's not your baby that you're using for size comparison... whose is it and do they know you're using them to showcase auto parts?

Comment

Comment

I don't know why, but that's the funniest thing I've read in a while.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Hey, when you have a turbo this big sometimes you just gotta use a baby for a pic.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

LOL @ the baby.

It appears to be fast asleep too.

You should give that pic to the parents, it'll make a great addition to the photo album.

"And this is you when you were X months old beside a turbocharger. It went in a 351-swap Grand Marquis with purple wheels and 600RWHP"

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                            X