This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Guide Rod Bushing Installation

What exactly are window guide rod bushings?

Window guide rod bushings are pieces of nylon that your window regulator utilizes to ensure that your window rides up and down smoothly within your window door frame. Being that they are pieces of nylon the weather really beats on them through the years and they tend to crack and dry up resulting in sloppy window functions. The good news is that it is actually very easy to replace! All one needs for the replacement are some guide rod bushings and basic household tools.

Where to get them?

I bought mine from Mustangs Unlimited

Lower bushings:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...asp?T1=BA83+01

Upper bushings:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...asp?T1=BA94+01

I actually installed two bottoms in each door because I didn't know they were different sizes. But purchasing two hatchback guide rod bushings and two convertible bushings should be a direct replacement....for a Two Door at least

**I did not buy convertible bushings but it looks identical to the upper bushings I removed from my car.**

How to install them?

To access the guide rod bushings you need to remove the door panel.

Door panel removed:

After that is out of the way you can begin by removing the one bolt up top of the guide rod and the one nut near the bottom of the guide rod.

Top bolt:

Bottom nut:

Once those are removed you can then twist the guide rod and pull it downward. It should then come free. Once free, remove it from the inside of the door and wipe it down of all the old grease.

Guide rod removed and cleaned:

A picture of the old bushings.

Now the bushings themselves are accessible. To remove them you need to lower the window a tad to have access to both bushings then just take a flat head screwdriver and twist them out of the metal they are pushed into.

Window lowered a tad to access bushings:

Once those are removed, wipe down the surface they are sitting in so that everything is removed of the old grease. Now you can install the new bushings by snapping them into place and packing grease in and on them. Then reinstall the guide rod into the new bushings and then tighten the nut and bolt. Now put grease on the guide rod itself so everything can slide smoothly. Slide the window up and down and every so often apply more grease. The bolt up top can be adjusted by sliding it backwards or fowards if your window is struggling to go up or down

New bushings installed:

My windows before the installation were a little sloppy and since I already had the door panels removed I figured why not? Now that they are installed the window behaves much nicer and the entire door even sounds a bit more solid.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

good write up do i need bushings if my window doesnt go up evenly like it tilts back and forth on way up?
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Yep you could use them and it may make it more sturdy but before shelling out the cash I would try and adjust the top bolt of the guide rod. It actually sounds as if your window is a little tight against the window channel moldings causing it to stick and drag. I would also use some silicone spray in your window channels to help lessen the friction between the window and window channel molding.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

AWESOME!!!

I always wondered if these things are available new... Now I know
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

So two-door models have two guide rods? (I've yet to have the door panels off on mine, but you have to hold the driver's window forward by hand as you raise it)
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            So two-door models have two guide rods?
            Well yes...One per door. A guide rod has two bushings.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            (I've yet to have the door panels off on mine, but you have to hold the driver's window forward by hand as you raise it)
            Is this a question about removing the door panel? If so I think I had a tad better luck removing the door panel with the window down..but it really shouldn't matter. If I did not answer your question please inform me so that we can get everything settled.
            ~David~

Comment

Excellent. No more squeeeek-chatter-thunk thunk as the windows go up. The passenger side is the worst on mine, which means almost every passenger who gets in notices it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I never knew you could get those things. I need a set for the Mark VII. The remains of one of the bushings is held together with zip ties in the corners. Maybe new ones will fix the herky-jerky window action. Very nice, thanks for the writeup.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Since the Mark VII is foxbodied you will probably only need the squarish ones for both doors upper and lower bushings.

Thanks everybody.
                  ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Well yes...One per door. A guide rod has two bushings.
                    Never mind, I just completely misunderstood your statement to mean I'd need four bushings per side rather than four per car. If I cared, I'd have figured out how to get the weird crank-window armrests off of there by now (looks like the top of the armrest just has to be pried off, what a pain).

Comment

Yeah your armrest looks strange lol...
                      ~David~

Comment

So anyway, in an attempt to clarify for my bodywork-challenged brain ... the things that contact the window and tell it where to go are:

- Guide rod and bushings
                        - Window frame and channel weatherstrip
                        - "Dew wipes" affixed to door panels and exterior trim

And nothing else? So if a window is behaving oddly, it is a problem with either the regulator assembly or one of these components?

Comment

There is also felted rubber bumpers that are bolted underneath the top of the door to keep the window stable while stationary. You can sort of see the bolt to one too the left of my hand in the second picture of the original post.

But yeah..you pretty much have the idea.
                          ~David~

Comment

Cool .. I think I'm starting to get the picture!

Comment

The bumpers can usually be rebuilt using the fuzzy side of a piece of velcro. Thats a mrltd tip from the tailgate but I have no reason to suspect it wouldn't work the same on door glass bumpers.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X