$ for trans rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$ for trans rebuild?

What can a person expect to pay for a rebuild of one of these transmissions? In your area, that is..probably varies place to place.

Don't need mine done as far as I know, but, it's kind of a worst-case-scenario at this point..the (what seems to me like) gear slippage has returned. it's sporadic. It actually almost seems like it's missing at some points, but can that happen sporadically? I'd thought that if it happened, it happened regardless of gear/load, but there's a good chance I'm wrong about that..and I hope I am and that's the problem. New plugs/wires/cap/rotor will likely be a fuck of a lot cheaper than a rebuilt trans.

Taking it to my mechanic tomorrow to have him drive it and poke around to see what's what. It could probably stand to be flushed and have the filter changed but even if it were old, I didn't think it would be this bad?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

How old are the ignition parts? Wires tend to degrade with age as well as miles, as do cap and rotor. Go for the simple stuff first.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Easily over a grand. Probably North of 1500
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
        How old are the ignition parts? Wires tend to degrade with age as well as miles, as do cap and rotor. Go for the simple stuff first.
        Yeah, I'm going to replace the cap/rotor/plugs/wires, both because I haven't done it since I bought the car (old man did about a week before I bought it from him, have the work orders and stuff) and because I really hope that's the actual problem here

Trans will get flushed and have the filter changed as well. Should I go with synthetic or what? What brand?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Easily over a grand. Probably North of 1500
          +1.

I had the AOD in my '89 F150 rebuilt to the tune of $1800 five years ago. Luckily it was under warranty from the used car dealership so i didn't pay a penny

Interestingly enough, TCI offers a AOD trans rated for 450hp for the price of $1560 through Summit Racing. Whether or not Mods would be needed to put that trans in place of your own i can't say though, and if you are paying someone else to do it, there will be some hefty labor charges.

All in all, somewhere between $1500-$2000 would be my guesstimate. I have had friends who got their trans swapped with used ones by a junkyard for less than a grand though if that's an option. Usually they will warranty it for a few months in case they give you a bad one.

Comment

$1500-plus for a STOCK rebuild? I had one rebuilt AND installed in '04 for $1000 flat. Granted, the idiot installer didn't know how to adjust a TV cable, but how many do?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yes around my neck of the woods that is the going price for a stock rebuild.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

John had his removed rebuilt and installed along with a new starter and flywheel for 1200
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

1000-1500 installed sounds about right. Beware, not all rebuilds are created equal. I've ridden in some cars with "fresh transmissions" that were far far worse than a sloppy old high mileage trans. Those are the ones that blow up in a year and give the AOD such a bad reputation.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I bought a brand new one from Ford and had it installed at Ford for 1250

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      1000-1500 installed sounds about right. Beware, not all rebuilds are created equal. I've ridden in some cars with "fresh transmissions" that were far far worse than a sloppy old high mileage trans. Those are the ones that blow up in a year and give the AOD such a bad reputation.
                      Very true. The first rebuilt AOD I ever had shifted just as sloppily after the rebuild as before it lost its go-forward ability almost entirely. Installing a B&M shift improver kit did next to nothing to improve its manners. That rebuild cost $800 in '97 or '98 at a shop highly recommended by a mechanic I trusted at the time, while one in '04 behaved itself very well (and still did when I pulled the engine this summer).
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
                        I bought a brand new one from Ford and had it installed at Ford for 1250
                        I didn't know they still made them? That's awesome. I will look into this before I look into a rebuild, I'm asking around and the going rate here seems to be about 1500 bucks. There's more than one Ford dealer so I might be able to get at least a competitive price for the labor. Not holding my breath on that, though.
                        sigpic

Comment

Are these things as easy to overhaul as the TH-lineup?
                          '90 Mustang GT vert
                          '89 GM - 189K & rising
                          '07 Daytona - cuz i don't have enough money to build a car this quick

Comment

ordered ignition parts and a filter kit *fingers crossed*
                            sigpic

Comment

huzzah, I found a used trans for two bills. I don't think it will be a permanent solution, but it's better than driving around with my transmission slipping all the time...if that is in fact what it's doing...will know in a few hours.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X