No announcement yet.

$ for trans rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcraft and Napa wires are fine, and similar in price to the Ford Racing wires. I have run both, though honestly I'd spring for Napa wires first because they're a little cheaper.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Shit seems fine now.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
        Shit seems fine now.

The operative word in this post is "now", as in, at that time it seemed fine. Shifts were really clean/quick, seemed to get up and go a bit better, and puttering along in 3rd was hiccup-free. The shifts are still a lot cleaner but it's hiccuping.

Motherfucker.

The fact that it was better temporarily makes me lean in the direction of trans vs ignition parts as the culprit. Fedex seems to think my ignition goodies will arrive from RockAuto today...if after replacing all of that fun stuff, it is still problematic, should I tell the guy I will need his Rustang's AOD?

also, just to be clear, there's no problem with an '88 mustang gt AOD bolting up to our motors, is there?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

no you will just have to open the pan up and swap shifter arms.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Tune it up before you replace the transmission. Its a lot easier. And ignition problems can be intermittant. Was it wet or more humid today? That will make it more inclined to misfire. I had a set of wires on my car that would make it hitch and buck like crazy in the rain, but it ran fine any other time. I had a set on the boat that ran fine, and then i rinsed out the engine bay and it flat out refused to start. Once the wires dried off it fired up again.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had my trans rebuilt for around $800. The place seemed legit but I always have this feeling its going to kill itself randomly.
              Also slightly off topic but related, at WOT, how long should it hold first gear? Today it didn't shift until somewhere past 50 and it kinda just flopped into second.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

did you let up after first?
                sigpic

Comment

4000rpm, give or take. The two Nathans have reported WOT shift points as low as 3500 or so.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

stock governer, 4000-4200. The 1-2 WOT slopshift is an annoying but common thing. Its something to do with how the stock valve body works. Its really annoying if you ask me.

Comment

mine 90% of the time goes to 4300 on my sunpro tack, but my cars just super amazing.......
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Ya, I don't have a tach but 4 grand seems right. It just seemed to hold it longer than usual. Oh well. Also, just out of curiosity sake, did AODs with bastard block 4.6s have a different governor?
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                        X