"Strange" transmission part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Strange" transmission part

I have just got the overhaul kit together with other parts needed to the rebuilt (torque converter, cooler and other stuff), but I have no idea what for the following thing is. I will reassembly the transmission in three weeks so I believe I will find then out, but I am just curious... The coin next to it is in approx. size of a quarter

sigpic

looks like a filter to me.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
      looks like a filter to me.
      yeah, it is definitely a filter it should be located somewhere in / near the valve body. Strange is, that I have not found any info about it in shop manual neither in Hayness transmission overhaul manual.
      sigpic

Comment

That goes either into the governor on the tailshaft, or into the hole in the case (where it joins with the valve body) that feeds the governor. I think it's supposed to go in the hole in the case that feeds the governor, but it's been a little while since I've been into an AOD. That screen is to keep trash and debris out of the shift governor, and isn't in stock AOD's.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
          That goes either into the governor on the tailshaft, or into the hole in the case (where it joins with the valve body) that feeds the governor. I think it's supposed to go in the hole in the case that feeds the governor, but it's been a little while since I've been into an AOD. That screen is to keep trash and debris out of the shift governor, and isn't in stock AOD's.
          So should I use it or better not? I definitely do not want to stick it in wrong place and then rebuilt the transmission because of it once again)
          sigpic

Comment

Look on page 50 of the repair manual I sent you... pretty sure its the filter that goes in govenor.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
              The filter in the stock aod governor doesn't have any plastic on it.. The one i got with the HO governor looked identical to the one in this picture.
              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                Look on page 50 of the repair manual I sent you... pretty sure its the filter that goes in govenor.
                great, thank you very much. I see it now
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                  The filter in the stock aod governor doesn't have any plastic on it.. The one i got with the HO governor looked identical to the one in this picture.
                  Yeppers, the original should be metal, if I now recall correctly, lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X