Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Bolts

My starter bolts keep backing out.

About 5 months ago I had to replace a perfectly good starter because I trashed it trying to start while the bolts were letting the starter wander around. When I replaced the starter, I used red loctite on the bolts so that this wouldn't happen again, and it just did yesterday. I didn't end up destroying the starter this time, so I was able to tighten the bolts back up, but I'm sure at this point that it's going to happen again.

This didn't start happening until I had to replace the original starter about two years ago. After that, the starter stayed where it was supposed to for about a year and a half before backing out.

What am I doing wrong?
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Are the threads stripped or something?

Comment

replace the starter bolts.....get some grade 8 bolts and lockwashers.......clean all grease and dirt out of the two holes in the bellhousing.......use the red loctite on the new bolts....make them tight.......if the starter comes lose again, you have flexplate issues

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I appreciate the quick and helpful response. I love this website.

Cheers
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

could also be that the threads in the trans bellhouse are damaged. If someone went gorilla on them, the aluminum threads will rip out.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nobody went gorilla on them. I'm the only one who's touched those bolts, thank goodness. I just completely forgot to put new lockwashers on there. I see that it has them now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
              if the starter comes lose again, you have flexplate issues
              How would the flexplate make the starter bolts back out?
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

dont you half t use heat to g et the red locktight to free back up? I just used some blue locktight on the old bolts and they stay in place hehe
                People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

red is supposed to be permanent, unless you torch it loose.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    red is supposed to be permanent, unless you torch it loose.
                    nah, the green is permanent
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Pretty sure it says permanent on the red...
                      People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Red is marked permanant, but if you heat it, it comes apart. Green does not come apart. The green stuff is whats used when installing a sleeve for a cylinder in an engine block. Once its in, its in.

Comment

Well I guess the red didn't hold it the first time because the engine heat was able to make them work loose.

I should've replaced the lockwashers...I didn't see them the first time.

Comment

Working...
                          X