1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 (56k NO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 (56k NO)

Here are a few shots of my Explorer, both when my fiancee gave it to me as a project back in July and a few leading up to the current state. It's been a fun ride and it's about to get a whole lot bigger- I recently picked up a kingpin Dana 60 out of a 1988 F350, which will get rebuilt with 5.13 gears and an ARB locker. The rear will most likely get a Dana 70 or a Sterling 10.25 with welded spider gears. In addition, a buddy recently took his trail rig to 42" tires, so I'm getting his barely-used 38.50s- a pair of boggers for the rear and a pair of SXs for the front, since boggers suck at steering.

Bone stock...

A little lift, 34x10.50s, and lots of trimming...

Took it on a few trail rides... the very first ride resulted in frying the A4LD, at which point I jumped at an opportunity to convert it to a manual transmission (lots more work than I expected...)

Bent up the front bumper on a sloppy night ride, so I had the local off-road fab shop build a new one with D-rings and a stinger... Clayton turned it into a jungle gym as soon as I got home with it and still uses it as a ladder to climb on top of the Ex.

The Dana 60 ready for a rebuild, gears, and locker...

The next step will be to pull the front center section so I can weld the spider gears just to have a little more fun until I go with the one ton axles. I have a feeling it's going to result in an explosion of some parts, but hey- that's why I'm going to the D60, so I can beat the crap out of it without worrying about breakage.

The axle build-up will be very slow, as I'm about to buy a house and I'm saving up to pay for my own wedding. It doesn't help that my son's mom hasn't provided a dime to help support our son in almost two years. I'm hoping that will change come February, when we go before the judge for what should be the final step in the all-too-drawn-out custody case (it's in the bag.) We'll see what happens. As long as I maintain custody, I honestly don't care whether she pays, but as a parent I think she should be held responsible for some of his expenses. I digress...

I'm hoping to take out the Explorer again in the next couple weeks- should have some new action shots at that point.

What do you guys think? I've definitely built this one a lot better than I did my old wagon and Town Car. One of those things where we learn to do it right the first time, I guess.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Nice!!!! Finally, somebody using an SUV the way it was meant to be used. Good for you teaching your son what 4-wheeling is all about. You might need more lift with the 38" tires that you plan to install. To me, your current tires look awfully close to hitting your fenders. Other than that, good job.

Packman

Comment

It'll have about 4" more suspension lift when the 38s go on.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Nice Explorer & Welcome Back to GMN!!
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Really nice. I love the pictures!
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Wow, I had one of those the same year as a daily driver (customer dropped it off at my house for me to track down a non-existent intermittent problem), and same color. I absolutely loved the front seats in it. I would have bought it had I known that he was going to sell it, he practically gave it away without telling me it was for sale.

Comment

Thanks for all the complements, guys!

I've put A LOT of work into this thing... rebuilt all window motors, rebuilt the transfer case shift motor, replaced numerous switches and sensors, complete transmission conversion, Dynomax catback, new coils, custom leaf packs, custom bumper, upgraded headlight bulbs, ten hours just trimming the front fenders and two more rolling the rears... and I'm sure I've forgotten plenty of other stuff.

Found a ride taking place this weekend so hopefully I'll get to take it out again. This thing is a blast, especially as well as it handles off-road... haven't been hung up once that a comparably- or better-equipped Jeep didn't have the same trouble.

Comment

I like it!
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

34s look a lot smaller onn that thing than I expected!

Are you going to narrow the D60 or go with full width front and rear?

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

I'm going full width front and rear. I could narrow the 60 and easily find a stock axle shaft to fit the shortened side for cheap replacements, but it's not that easy with a rear axle, so I'll just keep 'em full width. It'll end up being about 12" taller than stock (6" from tires, 6" from lift) when I'm done, so I'd rather keep the extra track width anyway to improve stability. I'll end up right around 80" from wheel face to wheel face once it's all said and done. The current set-up has me just over 72" face to face. Going up four more inches on the suspension and five more inches in the tires, I think an extra 4" on each side would look just right to keep it all proportionate.

...and this is post 3,000. Sure feels good to be back.

Comment

nice explorer!

monster dana rears lol.......got a 60 and a 70 in my 87 w350

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thats awesome. Did any of these ever come with 5 speeds?

Most of them around here have rotted rockers. Keep us posted on the changes you make.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          Thats awesome. Did any of these ever come with 5 speeds?
                          Yep. Good luck finding one, though. It's the only way I'd own one cause the A4LD is a super-turd.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
                          1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Actually, the 5spds are fairly common, but only with the 4.0 V6
                            sigpic
                            Current Rides
                            67 Cougar XR7
                            97 Mountaineer 5.0
                            03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Originally posted by 87LongroofCP View Post
                              Actually, the 5spds are fairly common, but only with the 4.0 V6
                              Yea, my 98 has that combo. Gutless but fairly reliable.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X