1991 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 Grand Marquis

Just need some help and suggestions on what I should do to Make my "granny car" not so "granny"

Last edited by 91grandmarquis; 11-30-2009, 06:12 PM.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Heres what i have lined up for her-
    Gibson stainless mufflers and tips (entire exhaust at some point)
    American racing Outlaw 1 or 2 rims (havent decided yet)
    BFGoodrich Radial T/A's
    More aggressive stance New Springs? or Helpers?

When i got the car she was a rust pit and i put a lot of work into her, then new paint, a new vinyl top, and switched to Aimsoil 100% Synthetic. Ive got about 5k in her and shes only got 41k on the engine so its a worthy investment. Any suggestions/comments welcome.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Just changing wheels will make the car look entirely different. Its usually enough to make it look no so granny like. I still think any 88 - 91 are forever grannymobiles because of the bumpers. Just makes them look soooo old fogie.

Car looks great as it is man, just some wheels and you will be amazed at the outcome.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

This one looks like it has potential! More pics please...
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

There will be more pics to come, i need to give her one good bath before winter hits. I undercoated her twice this year, pretty cheap to do up in NE, plus it kills rust pretty well, but i try to keep a good eye on the clumps of slush hanging off the quarters and such. I called the local tire shop and there getting me a quote on the outlaw 1 wheel and a BFGoodrich radial T/A (70 series?). The pictures do this car no justice though, even with just one coat of 3m hand glaze it shines like a star. Thanks for all the comments ill keep you posted. I wish i had some before pics it was in rough shape. Nothing a little sandblasting, bondo, putty, sheet metal, and a summers worth of free time cant fix though. I wouldnt have purchased the car if it didnt have such low miles and an immaculate interior.
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Wash it REALLY well, coat all the seams and underside with oil, then don't wash it 'till spring. Seriously.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
            1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Yeah Shes been undercoated about 4 times since i did the restore, the first by myself and dad to make sure it got a good helping of hydraulic fluid on the frame. All holes are drilled and even oiled under the trunk interior on the backside of the quarters. The hand glaze also helps with the salt, But you cant stop rust only hold it off if the car runs through winter, thats why after college shes going up for the winter. Its my first car my dad said that if i bought a car with rust i would respect it more, let me tell you this car has my respect. I also hand sanded the whole car to prep for paint and the body shop shot it at half price.

I plan on doing a HO swap after i give the local college all my money so probably sometime during senior year or so. Maybe a K code rear end. For now i just want it to look like it has some nuts. I guess the cheapest way to do that would be slapping some Type R stickers on though (haha ricers).
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by moneypit View Post
                Wash it REALLY well, coat all the seams and underside with oil, then don't wash it 'till spring. Seriously.
                I used to do that with my 89' F-150 that I had for like 7 years. I really helped a lot.

Y'know....having a granny car ain't all that bad....sometimes you DON'T want to attract attention to youself. That F-150 I mentioned....have a 302 with a 4-speed manual in it. I used to love getting on it and banging gears and such. I put well over 100k on it (165k total) and never got a ticket with it. I ran the stock wheels with winter tires and some white-spokes in the summer (255/70/15). I got asked a lot why I didn't dress it up and put chrome or aluminum wheels on it......no tickets....that's why.

Anyway.....we can't all be that same.....

Nice GM, How's about maybe some mountaineer wheels?

^^^......man my spelling/grammar sucks when I'm typing in a hurry......LOL
                Former panther owner
                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Dont get me wrong i love my car, and i love hitting the highway with the pedal floored (cant beat the roar of a 5.0 even if it is a LO) I Love luxury cars and want 79 mark 3. I just think that my car could look better and unique. Funny story about tickets though i was doing about 75 in a 45 as well as the red car in front of me when a cop swung a U-turn out of nowhere i thought that i was going to lose my license (only 16 at the time). He passed me and tailed the red sedan. Guess i realy lucked out on that one. It was highway too not within city limits. I also had an older guy drop by my house in an 08 GM and offer to buy mine from me even before i put the new vinyl on. Just want to dress her up a bit. And my dad has a 98 GMC seen every winter since and hasnt had a spot of rust on it. If you maintain them right they can last, however what worries me is that my car already had quite a bit of rust on her and although I fixed it all its still has been there. I even painted the back side of the sheet metal on the quarters to prevent moisture rotting it out from the backside. Thanks.
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Ok some more pics of the car after a nice bath. (looks like 5 inches of snow tommorow).
                    "There she sits buddy just a gleamin in the sun"

Nice straight body ( after I removed the 5 or 6 dents in each door) plus the dents in the hood ( how does that happen again?) and the tricky one on the fender lip.

The drivers side (actually had more door dings)

Nice rust free underside (lucky it was all body rust actually)
                    Last edited by 91grandmarquis; 12-04-2009, 11:30 PM.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

ok now time for some interior pics-

Carpet is in great shape, I have winter mats in now just not in the pic.

Nope the odometer has not rolled over yet.

The seats are incredibly comfortable, slept in the back while i was helping with the ice storm rescue at the fire department, just like my bed at home ( minus the pillow ).
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Wow that's nice and clean. Blue interior FTW!
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks i love the blue, noticed your car has the same interior color as well, also love your rims.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

its a great looking car ,i would lower the car and throw some wheels on there like some 17/18's or 20"s . that alone will change the look and apperance. thats what i would but, thats what i like , you may want some thing differant !!!! good luck
                            sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                            87 mercury grand marquis
                            88 crown vic lx
                            89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                            89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                            00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                            03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Yeah i got some outlaw ones for her today with some bf goodrich radial T/A s ( wich im told are being discontinued at least the 70s series)
                              They look like this-

Im going for a kind of police interceptor look, Im keeping the 15 inch size with a 7 inch width. I saw an 86 with outlaw 2s on it (they just have holes) and it looked really nice. I wanted some crager sst's but those are discontinued as well.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X