Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigger/Wider Bolt on Wheels for rear (no mods or rubbing)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger/Wider Bolt on Wheels for rear (no mods or rubbing)?

I know there are lots of posts on this, but I have not been able to find anything conclusive.

I have a 1991 GrandMarq, and am looking to upgrade the rear wheels & tires. I do not want to have to make any mods, just bolt them on.

What is the widest wheel/tires combination that will fit without rubbing?

Also, part two of the question: Is there a particular car i could get these wheels/tires from at the junk yard?

Currently I'm faced with the situation of the car having crappy rear tires in the stock size. In the wet, they are like driving on ice. I'm debating about buying good tires in the stock size, or upgrading to something a little wider. I would like something wider if I can do it on a low budget.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Hi, read the FAQ.

Then do a search.

Pretty much the only thing that will bolt right on is 98-02 16x7 wheels, or 15x7 early explorer wheels.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Find some (stock) wheels and tires off of a 98' and up 2WD Ford Ranger xlt.
      The wheels will be 15x7 and the tires will be P225/70/R15
      That's one size lager than stock ....or the same as what a police package crown vic would have.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I dont know if they will fit a 91, but I had 15x8s with 4 inches of backspacing and a set of 295/50R15s on the rear without rubbing...
        sigpic

Comment

I've been thinking about ranger wheels. Is there any advantage of the wider wheel, or will a P225/70/R15 fit on the stock wheel? Seems like it should?

Basically I want a little extra rubber in the back. The car has some General tires on the back, and its a beast to keep it from spinning in the wet conditions. Even sliding to a stop with the easiest of brake applications. Tires are pretty crappy in general. Maybe better rubber would help.

Comment

PS -- the FAQ search on "wheels" returns nothing, and a general search was not more useful.

Comment

Better rubber will make a HUGE difference. I just went from ancient and nearly bald michelins to 65% tread cheapie winters, and even though they're thinner (205 down from 215) the car is MUCH quicker to stop in the rain. It went from 1/3 throttle making me go into the next lane from a stop to having to drive like a real asshole to break the tires loose at all.

Try new tires of the same size, or even better used tires, before you get into swapping out wheels and plus sizing and all that.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Nice -- any recommendations on good tires that would fit on the stock rims? I was looking at some high performance all-seasons or some light truck variations.

Comment

Popular models include Radial T/A, Firehawk Indy 500, Avid S/T (now defunct), and Cooper Cobra. One neat thing about the Cobra is that it's available in unusual sizes such as 265/50/15. A 255/60/15 is about the same overall height as stock, but is a bit wide for a 6.5" rim.

Typical sizes to consider should include 225/70 and 245/60.

What is your point of reference for pricing? For aftermarket wheels, are you looking at the budget contingents sold under the Cragar brand through Summit Racing, or just whatever overpriced stuff your local tire store wants to push on you? You can't go wrong with a set of four 15x8" wheels with 4.5" backspace (zero offset), and they can mount 255/60s with no problem.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Awesome -- would there be any problems with a 245/60 on the stock wheels? I'll check out summit racing too, see what options are there.

I don't have a particular price point other than "as cheap as possible", lol.

Comment

First determine whether your present wheels (or rather, the ones you intend to use) are 6.5" wide or 7" wide. Then consult representative tire listings for minimum recommended wheel width. The 245/60s I just looked at recommend a 7" wheel minimum. I've run 255/60s on a 6.5" wheel, and it wasn't so good (strong tendency to wallow).
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I couldn't find the exact ones you mentioned, but would this one fit?

I think these would look bitchin', and are pretty cheap.

Would these wheels with 255/60s you mentioned fit OK (no other mods or rubbing). If so, I might make the investment.

Comment

i'm runnin a raised up, stiff rear end on my 91 with 275/60/15 BFG's on an 8" rim which is in the middle of the reccomendation and after a season they are worn allot in the center and not much at the edges... lots of burnouts didn't help much with that. helped allot in the rain but i can still be goin 80km/hr and trounce on it for a pass and the back end gets squirrely...10 times better than my 12 year old pizza cutter michelines tho, and even better than my 215 snowies.

its the offset you need to be concerned about, just make sure its very close to stock most likely (+13mm) and you might be able to pull off 255's but it will be close.

yeah those rims would look pretty good on the old 91
                          Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I'm running BFG Radial TA's 225/70/15 up front and 235/70/15 in the rear. Stock size was 205/75/15. I have excellent traction with them and hook up quite well at the track. I will be going to a 60 series in the back to return my gear ratio where it should be. Are you going wide for performance or looks? I have seen a 427 chevelle run 235/70/15's (dont remember the brand but were street tires) at the track hook up and run high 11's

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                            Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                            Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                            NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

I'm going for traction + something that will look a little cooler. I think the traction issue is most likely the crappy tires that are on the car (some sort of General Tires). They have zero traction in the wet, like nothing at all. I can barely pull out even easing the gas on.

Better rubber would probably solve that, but if I can go a little wider I'd like to.

Merc91: You said with that size it "will be close". How close do you think, and do you mean close in the back, front, or both? I'm contemplating just upgrading the backs, and leaving the fronts the stock size but I'm on the fence about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X