Possible vacuum leak under dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible vacuum leak under dash

Ever since I picked my GM up I've heard what sounds like a vacuum leak under the dash. While looking for the leak this last weekend I found it is coming from a white plastic piece wrapping half way around the shifter shaft. I have not pulled the part yet to see if it is cracked or something. The hoses connecting to it do not seem to be leaking and the sound seems to be coming directly from the plastic piece. The sound gets quieter when when I press the accelerator. The car idles fine and seems to shift fine. I cannot image that this thing is supposed to sound like it is leaking but I would hate to replace it to have the new one do the same thing. I question if it is actually bad since it does not appear to be causing any problems.
    '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
    only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

There's a mechanism for the automatic parking brake release underneath the dash. I'd imagine that the thing on the shifter is the thing that tells it to release in forwards gears. The worst that happens if you seal the leak is that you'll have to release the parking brake yourself.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

What he said. From your description it sounds exactly like the parking brake release reservoir thingy. No biggie sealing off the leaks/lines.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks. Since I'm not using the e-brake until I have time to test it and fix it if it gets stuck I'll definitely just disconnect the piece for now. I've never had anything auto turn off the e-brake before, so I can't image I'll miss it any.
        '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
        only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

Comment

lol Yeah it seems to be a pretty weird feature, most likely aimed at saving granny from smoking the brakes on her way to church Sunday morning.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            lol Yeah it seems to be a pretty weird feature, most likely aimed at saving granny from smoking the brakes on her way to church Sunday morning.
            It seems useful in that respect but I'll be damned if it isn't a terrifying sound. I don't know if it's supposed to release slowly or just let go and spring back up, but it does the latter in my car, and I would've scared the shit out of myself if I didn't know about it and tried to set off with the brake on. That thing must've contributed to more than one cardiac episode
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Mine goes bang and pops up really hard, just like that. Has since the car was new.
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Its not a gradual release. The vacuum motor pops the catch, same as if you pulled the release handle manually. You late model guys have that pump to release brake, but the early models had a handle to do that job. ka-bang when you release the brake.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X