93 5.0 HO into an 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 5.0 HO into an 89

Ok, i bought a 93 5.0l HO engine that was in a t-bird. 90,000 on the clock and ran great when it was pulled. The reciver car is going to be my 89 GM. What I need to know is what else should i be doing when i pull the motor. Any suggestions on vacuum, ECM, transmission and other information. Thought about just putting the the heads on up on my exsisting block but then decided that it would be a better idea to put the younger assembly in all together. The pan I know is a double compartment like the pan on my 89 and the motor mounts and all will be in the same points. I am concerned about my cruise since it is an 89 and my be integrated into the ECM. The newer mother is just that, no harness or ECM. also there is no water pump but I can just use the one i already have since it is new. Thanks for the help guys. I tried to look in the archive but did see anything that really had what i need.
    sigpic 1994 Lincoln TC executive

Hey I see that you live in Albermale! I live down here in Denton. I actually go the Stanly County comunity College. Other guys on this site will help you about your questions. I'd just thoght I'd post that.

Comment

also there is no water pump but I can just use the one i already have since it is new.
      You will have to switch all your engine accessories around to do that. Your pump is not the same, it spins in the other direction, so you needs the belts to spin it accordingly.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
        Hey I see that you live in Albermale! I live down here in Denton. I actually go the Stanly County comunity College. Other guys on this site will help you about your questions. I'd just thoght I'd post that.
        greetings from Albemarle!

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
          You will have to switch all your engine accessories around to do that. Your pump is not the same, it spins in the other direction, so you needs the belts to spin it accordingly.
          Thats good to know, ill be collecting all the data I can on this. not going to put the gm down till i get another ride to drive to school and work. going to start the project in the spring time.

Comment

I imagine the HO in a mark VII is the same basic engine so this is why I posted that above.
            Originally posted by andymac0035
            Oh and this was funny today.....
            My wife, who is basically the finacial manager of things (yeah, I know, but she's actually pretty good at it)......asked me:
            "why can't you use the water pump off the lincoln?" (her Dad's 90' LSC parts car)
            ....Well after I got done rolling my eyes....I explained to her about the fact that that car had 168k on it......
            Then again......at that mileage it must have been changed at least once......LOL
            Originally posted by lincolnmania
            the mk7 water pump also turns the wrong way.......good you didnt try it!
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Where you go to school at? I'm always coming down hwy 52 about 8 o clock in the morning.

PS: Sorry to Hijack

Comment

Where you go to school at? I'm always coming down hwy 52 about 8 o clock in the morning.
                I go to ITT Tech in Charlotte, but i work at the shell station on 24/27 right outside town. How far away is Denten? I just moved back here. I use to live here about 3 years ago but now I am back.

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                  I imagine the HO in a mark VII is the same basic engine so this is why I posted that above.
                  well ill just get the water, ps pump, and alt for a t-bird and that should sove it, you think?

Comment

You can take hwy 49 and get to Denton. I'm about 20 or 30mins from down town Albemale. I'm sure you've heard of the little club called Cripple Creek? I go there every now and then

Comment

You can take hwy 49 and get to Denton. I'm about 20 or 30mins from down town Albemale. I'm sure you've heard of the little club called Cripple Creek? I go there every now and then
                      Sounds familiar but I dont get out much.

Comment

dont forget, you might need the MAF sensor and wiring and the ECM since the t-bird is a MAF car and our boxes are speed density

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

....and here we go, leaving Tech Gulch, and entering Chat Flats...

Comment

You don't want that wiring harness or ECM. 93 Tbird stuff is way different, and the ECM tune pretty much blows. The pinout is also very different, so unless you really want to do a lot of work to modify your wiring harness, its not worth it. MAF may be useful down the road but thats about it. Snag the plug for it if you'd like.

Front engine accessories are all different. If I'm not mistaken, you may also need to change the timing cover to the same one your stock engine uses. The upper intake also is mostly useless. Its far easier to use the upper from an 88-92 Mark VII or Mustang since that style is reversible. ECM should be a Mark VII computer if you want plug and play with cruise control. The upstroke to this, from what I'm told the 93 Tbird engine has the same cam the 93 Cobra has, meaning its got a little more low rpm torque. I don't know that this is absoloute gospel but its what I've been told. If not, its the standard HO cam that works fine anyway.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              You don't want that wiring harness or ECM. 93 Tbird stuff is way different, and the ECM tune pretty much blows. The pinout is also very different, so unless you really want to do a lot of work to modify your wiring harness, its not worth it. MAF may be useful down the road but thats about it. Snag the plug for it if you'd like.

Front engine accessories are all different. If I'm not mistaken, you may also need to change the timing cover to the same one your stock engine uses. The upper intake also is mostly useless. Its far easier to use the upper from an 88-92 Mark VII or Mustang since that style is reversible. ECM should be a Mark VII computer if you want plug and play with cruise control. The upstroke to this, from what I'm told the 93 Tbird engine has the same cam the 93 Cobra has, meaning its got a little more low rpm torque. I don't know that this is absoloute gospel but its what I've been told. If not, its the standard HO cam that works fine anyway.
                              thanks much for that info, the more the better. its not a fly by night project for me and soon me gm will not be the daily driver so what ever i got to do to get it right is fine with me, thans again.

Comment

Working...
                              X