The ho wagon continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ho wagon continues

The wagon made the hour and a half drive home without any major issues and was quite drivable,

however i took the car out to the farm the next day with heat and the lights on, i shut it off then tried to start and it was pretty much dead, charged her up and got these voltages

13 volts - idle everything off

12.75 - idle lights on

12.45 - idle lights, fan on low.

11.75 -car off alt unplugged

11.50 car off alt plugged in and voltage dropping.

SO yea alt is on it's way to shitting the bed. got a 3g but it's in the wrong kind of case i will take it to the alt shop and see if they can change it. I will have to fix this first.

The running rich problem/isn't real terrible and is very drivable (not that i am driving this for winter anyway). If Julian couldn't figure it out then there is a good chance i won't have too much luck either, if that's the case then ill take it to a shop.

the rust isn't at all that bad, there is alot of minor spots and a few bad spots being the drivers side top window, the drivers floor is going to be the worst to fix and there's another small hole in the rear wheel well.

Pics:
    Front pass side

Drivers floorpan

Drivers rear wheel well

Spot 2 Lincolns

to come in spring:

alt,

What this bad boy was made for! haulin christmas trees!

At this point i also realized that there was no air cleaner on the engine! - homemade is on the way.

I will be restoring this car come spring, i didn't have any time from summer to Christmas for cars because of school, all winter i will be running the bar up north for the skidooers, plus winter sucks to work on cars, come spring i should have a few months off to go nuts!
    Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

im glad your gonna go forward with the wagon. i love the tree on top of it too, classic! does the car still smoke after idling for a few or did it clear its self up?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

also, did you see a white 88 wagon when you were driving the car home from my place? if you did, that was my old mans car lol

Comment

i saw a wagon and a grand marquis shortly just past the sunoco, i was wearing my aviators so i probably looked alot like you.

it smokes a little more than my grand marquis, doesn't smoke more than usual while driving it, however it still takes alot of gas to get around. will get the right alt tomm and hopefully have time to start installing the bastard.

also i don't know if it's the cold weather, the black sludgy oil in the car or the batt/starter is starting to go, but it seems usless the batt is fully fully charged it can barely crank the engine at all. having 10.5-11 volts in the batt should be enough to get er to turn right?
        Last edited by ÆJackacks; 12-21-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

i think i mentioned before, the solinoid was starting to go on the car. been a few times i had to screwdriver the solinoid to start

Comment

10.5 isn't enough to spin it over. Once the battery is fully charged it ought to work.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Charged the battery for 4 and a half hours and it worked with no problems after that, at least for today.

got the 3g 80% installed, need to get a smaller pulley put on, and change the connector to the eyelet thingies for the post terminal, got too damn cold and dark out.

I had to take the thing to 3 alternator shops before i found a guy who would change the frame on it for me ! R&L Alternators in Milton. but it turned out that the 3G i got from the wreckers was about to die so i bought a new one for $155 CA that's painted silver and shiny!

Damn this cas sounds awsome!
              Last edited by ÆJackacks; 12-23-2009, 01:06 AM. Reason: CUS I CAN NI@@A

Comment

wagon looks great kevin you got a nice fleet there

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Nice car. When you're checking for rust repairs inspect the frame where the air conditioner condensation drips.

Donald McCaig
                  1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

engine pix

got 3 g in, 14 volts all day long, cranks over just fine.

got a short exhaust vid there too.

everything you need

80 amp

Comment

Any particular reason to put an 80 amp fuse on a 130 amp alternator?

Otherwise looks good, man. Nothing like upgrading things when they break, right?
                      Does it have no air filter or is the entire cleaner assembly missing?
                      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

The original wires are still there. I didn't realize the cleaner was missing till i popped the hood the first weekend i got it home, if you look carefully in the first post you can see there is a air intake that zack (91ltdProject) was using on his vic, i tried to fit it in but the ho dipstick is like right in front of the throttle body and i am going to have to move the washer/rad fluid bottles too. Till then i'll have to use like a 3 inch wide peice of exhaust pipe or something.

The original alt wires are still in use so they have half the load, so an 80 will be ok right?

anyway i got christmas presents to wrap!
                        Last edited by ÆJackacks; 12-24-2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I really wouldn't use the original wires at all. Makes it nearly impossible to accurately fuse it.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like how it sounds.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              I really wouldn't use the original wires at all. Makes it nearly impossible to accurately fuse it.
                              What he said. Plus, if the fusible links do pop they'll take out anything in the area and can easily start a fire.
                              2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                              1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                              1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Working...
                              X