Custom Dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Dashboard

Ya know I have been thinking about creating a vehicle dashboard that is run by a GUI (Win, Linux, whatever), that reads all the vehicles sensors and displays that information in a customizable format. The display would be either two 22" LCD touchscreens or three 19" depending on the application. All user-functions would be run by this system, as well as on-the-fly performance selections.

Anyone have any ideas of how to do this?

What I think I would need:
    ECU interface harness
    ECU programming software
    monitors
    motherboard and associated materials
    OS
    transmission interface (auto only)
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Sounds like a bigger screen version of the Racepak dash? which runs with Big Stuff 3 EFI. The racepak dash will literally read anything you want it to as long as you have a sensor for it. I even have a driveshaft speed sensor with mine...

22" sounds like a pretty big display though..

http://www.prolineraceengines.com/ca...93050c916f4329

Last edited by Outlaw440; 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

check out this thread and talk to the guy that made it he would guide you to building one
      http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=134178.0

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Where would such big screens be placed??

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

The entire dashboard would be rebuilt to hold the screens. All interior switches would be replaced with a corresponding touchscreen control. Everything including the radio would be controlled by the touch screens.

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

going for the Star Trek setup I see... cool, but better make it crash-proof, as you don't want to lose control of about every comfort feature of the car when the OS decides to take a dump for whatever reason:

:data:

And by the way you don't need trans interface, auto transmissions are controlled by the same brain that runs the engine so a single good PCM breakout harness and software to match will work and you'd be able to monitor both engine and transmission operating parameters through it.

Comment

22" is HUGE

inb4 thats what she said
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I think that three 19 or 17 4.3 monitors or two 17" 4.3 and one 22" 16.9 monitors...

hmmm.. here is a possible configuration.

Comment

Yeah, what happens when the OS takes a shit on you?

Sorry, i just think it's way overcomplicated and unnecessary.

Comment

I prefer analog gauges... the real thing.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

What kind of OS are you going to go with? I'd skip pretty much any Microsoft product, except maybe Windows 7. Otherwise I'd go with some kind of linux distribution or something.
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaslincoln View Post
                        What kind of OS are you going to go with? I'd skip pretty much any Microsoft product, except maybe Windows 7. Otherwise I'd go with some kind of linux distribution or something.

This! Except I'd skip Windows 7 as well.

Another suggestion would be to use a solid state hard drive/compact flash to reduce the likelihood of hard drive failure.
                        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                        Open/Lock/Ratio #
                        -----------------------
                        G / H / 2.26
                        B / C / 2.47
                        8 / M / 2.73
                        7 / - / 3.07
                        Y / Z / 3.08
                        4 / D / 3.42
                        F / R / 3.45
                        5 / E / 3.27