No announcement yet.

Replacement Tires??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long have you had the Hydro Edges (in terms of months or years) I'm curious to find out if they get all rock hard and useless in the wet like a lot of other Michelins do when they get a couple years old.

Alex.

Comment

The back ones I purchased summer 2007. The front ones are about 6 months old. The back ones still seem as grippy as ever.

Further evidence:
      My buddy just got himself an 87 Mercedes Benz 190D. It had six or seven year old Michelin X-radials on it, and they were still quite grippy even when he got rid of them for some Primacies a few months back.

And with 185 width tires and an open diff, he needs all the help in the rain he can get.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

ok, NooBy question.... what is stock? what came on the car? I've got a 1988 GM. How much "bigger" can I go on my stock rims? Would bump'n up a size make the car handle better?

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          How long have you had the Hydro Edges (in terms of months or years) I'm curious to find out if they get all rock hard and useless in the wet like a lot of other Michelins do when they get a couple years old.

Alex.
          These are on my Honda, lol, and they're approaching 'useless' in the wet. And of course, the road noise is terrible.

Comment

I blame the narrow size selection on the OEMs going to 16" and 17" wheels on more and more stuff. I was surprised recently to find the pickings pretty slim in for a 195/70/14 for our Cavalier, and the prices weren't as cheap as I would have expected either.

If you can't find what you want in a 225/70, don't overlook the possibility of running a different but similar size such as 215/70 or 205/75. Not that I'm one to endorse going narrow without a good reason ...... but I've been finding it positively weird how much tire selection changes with small changes in nominal size. Among other things, so many tires that look at a glance like they might be attractive options, turn out to be available only in sizes that I figure can only qualify as really weird and 97% useless.

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
            Cheapo tires are ussually white wall. Milestar or nankang or some other no name is about all you got for choices. I ussually run what is free unless I suck it up for new rear tires that don't blow in the woods. Being broke sucks and I run oddball sizes.
            And at the same time, places usually want lots of moolah for their no-name whitewalls that blow up or spin out the first time you drive on them. Well, not that I have experience with tires being anywhere near that bad, but who wants to pay $90 a tire for a brand you've never even heard of?

Originally posted by fordktpjoe View Post
            I put Kumho Ecsta ASX's on the wife's Fusion. Won't EVER do that again. worst tire I ever owned. NO good in rain/snow (yeah they had the little m/s on them) only lasted 30,000 miles too.
            I second the ASX being worthless in snow. Pretty decent in the dry, and they're very cheap for a fancy performance tire, but the ones that came with my P72 are being treated as summer tires only.

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            The generic whitewall firestones on my car when I got it were terrible. You could spin them without trying. All I know is the next tires I get need to be RWL. Thinking of trying some firehawk Indy 500's.
            Why RWL in particular? I do basically agree with Thain's assessment of trying to buy the best tire you can afford with the performance characteristics you require, before taking any other considerations into account. The selection of RWL tires in usual sizes does seem to be dwindling ... I've wondered recently how soon we'll be stuck with nothing but Cooper, Mastercraft, or Dayton if RWL in wide sizes is a requirement. Granted, Radial T/As will probably always be around since they're so popular, but their size selection is narrowing. Already I know that if I were to go crazy and run something like a 265/50/15 on the front of a car, my brand choices would be severely limited.

That said, doesn't Mr. Land Yacht have Indy 500s on his winter wheels? Their reviews do look rather outstanding.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have X Radial LT Michelins on my car. They're a nice tire and wear well (despite the fact that I used to sping them; ALOT), but leave alot to be desired in rain and snow.

They didn't make the ride any harsher.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                These are on my Honda, lol, and they're approaching 'useless' in the wet. And of course, the road noise is terrible.
                Mom has a 2007 Honda Odyssey that came with Michelin Energy's....and yes they suck. The road noise is terrible in that car. When we replaced the tires, however, the road noise didn't go away. It's the car, not the tires.

Also, I think Honda's OEM Michelin's are significantly different from the ones at Costco. The ones that come from Costco don't suck nearly as bad.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

That said, doesn't Mr. Land Yacht have Indy 500s on his winter wheels? Their reviews do look rather outstanding.
                  I've got a set on/for my truck, and its what I'll be using on the MGM when it needs tires. BTW, BFG Radial T/As are not all that great, I won't be buying any more of them.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                    BTW, BFG Radial T/As are not all that great, I won't be buying any more of them.

Alex.
                    Point. Their best qualities are that they look good and handle predictably. That is to say, you can still manage to stay on the road because you know exactly when and how they're going to hydroplane.

Oddly, I remember having OK luck with them in snow.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Dont know if the original poster already got new tires but I just got the Hydroedges and they feel pretty good. Much less "roll". It doesnt feel like the car is going to fall out of the tires or something. I cant hear any difference over the cut off muffler which is also not very loud. Basically, I cant really hear much over the open windows or music so it doesnt really matter.

Also, do any of you guys have the Hydroedges on a box? Honda, maybe, but dont boxes have more sound deadner or something cause its a pretty damn quiet car.
                      88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

I has hydroedges on my box. No more or less road noise than there ever was. I think it's the Honda, not the tires.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                          I has hydroedges on my box. No more or less road noise than there ever was. I think it's the Honda, not the tires.
                          I've had problems with certain Michelin tires and road noise. Not all of their tires, but almost every one of their 'green' lineup produces a lot of road noise....I've seen this mentioned in a lot of their reviews. As an example, My T-bird came to me with a set of Michelins that drove my mother nuts, as the tires that came with the car originally, when I bought the car for her, were dead silent. She bought the set at America's Tire Company, and these were supposedly the best Michelins available....and I had to put an aftermarket CD player in it so she should crank it loud enough to kill the tire noise.

Right now, I have a no-name set of 235/55R 16's on it....and it's quiet again.

...and I've had similar experiences since then.

There is a sport tire they produce that is marvelous on the road....and incredibly quiet....and hideously expensive....but isn't considered an 'efficient' unit, as it's a performance tire....I'd love to have a set, but at $245 a piece....nyah.

Comment

Originally posted by cfordwin1 View Post
                            ok, NooBy question.... what is stock? what came on the car? I've got a 1988 GM. How much "bigger" can I go on my stock rims? Would bump'n up a size make the car handle better?

215/70/15 is stock size

16" tires are much better and the selection is greater......get some wheels from a 98-02 panther and some 225/60/16's......you wont regret it.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Often the OEM tires are made different than the retail tires. usually they're crappier than the same make and model tire that you'd get over the counter at a tire store.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tire size

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                                215/70/15 is stock size

16" tires are much better and the selection is greater......get some wheels from a 98-02 panther and some 225/60/16's......you wont regret it.
                                Thanks for the imput, but I really like the wheels I've got now. Are there p235/70/r15's??

Comment

Working...
                                X