This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete fluid and filter change 1992-2001

Those with a 1992-2001 have the advantage of Torque Converter drain plug. This will allow for an almost complete fluid drain. Those with out will drain around 4qts less but can still do a fluid change at home.

I can't speak about Box vic's as I am unsure as to whether they have a TC drain or the crank bolt size, If you know this information please add it.

Supplies

1 can Brake cleaner

14 qts Mercon V . Do not use any universal fluids.

7/16 socket

10mm socket.

18mm socket.

A small pick.

Filter.

Optional - Needle nose pliers.

First get your can on jack stands. Do not work under your car with anything else supporting it. You will be under there a while so let's play it safe.

Now since your going to replace "worn" fluid and have your hand in some not so nice places, Let's take the ground off the battery and leave it off during the entire operation.

Locate a black plug under the bell housing, Pry it off. Now you are looking at your Torque Converter.

Using the 18mm socket and a breaker bar or or ratchet turn the crank bolt located inside the crank at the bottom of the FEAD,or serpentine belt routing. When facing the car imagine that crank turning clock wise, This is the motion we will follow.

Turn the crank bolt right tight using one arm and with the other place a finger against the TC pointing towards the drivers side. You are trying to feel for the bolt to spin around so you can access it.

Once you fell the bolt turn the crank slowly til you see it dead center of the hole.

Having a deep pan handy turn that bolt left loose out of there. Now put that bolt in a safe place and the TC will need a long time to drain, In fact you're going to let it drain for most of the entire operation.

Get your 10mm socket and another pan.

Now when I drop pans I like to use a 3/8ths breaker bar, This way I can left loose and right tight those bolts for the pan. The bolt holes are open at the top along both sides of the trans pan. Debris will get in there. So I go in both directions to keep them moving freely as I remove them.

Undo all but one bolt at each side ( Front and Back ) so you can control the pitch of the pan and let as much as possible pour out in a controlled fashion.

Now once you have as much as possible out of the pan push it back up all the way and remove the last two bolts.

Bring down the pan and slowly pour it into your catch pan. You're Ford Reusable Pan Gasket may stick to the trans, Just gently pull it down.

Place the pan aside and with that same catch pan under the trans and it's still going to "rain" fluid from various places pull down and remove the filter. Inspect the filter for an orange o-ring where it entered the bore of the valve body. If it's missing then grab your pick and pull it out of that bore.

How's the TC drain doing ?

Leave that catch pan under the car and remove the trans pan and gasket.

Remove the magnet and spray out the pan until it's clean, Then use a rag and wipe off your magnet.

Place the magnet back over that dimple where you got it, Marked by three "pointing lines"

Inspect your gasket, a little rough edge on the outside is ok as long as there isnt a tear or deformation past either of the two stiff wires in it.

Place the gasket back on the pan, Though it looks like it can go "both ways" make sure you have it right as the bottom 4 bolts on the pans widest point are off set a little so the gasket does have a "Right way" .

Now did you remove the orange o-ring from the previous filter ?

How's the TC drain doing ? If no more fluid is draining then replace that bolt and the plug. Wipe the area down. Tighten the bolt to 20 ft lbs.

Take your new filter and press it firmly in the bore, Make sure the filter runs flat against the valve body and holds itself in place and is placed in the correct direction.

Now have your pan bolts handy.

Place the gasket on the pan,check for placement and hold it against the pan. Hand tighten 3 bolts. This will align the gasket and hold the pan for you.

Hand tighten the remaining bolts, Then tighten them in a cross pattern. Pick any corner to start and do the diagonal opposite then do the same side opposite, lather rinse repeat. Use a pattern that has you doing opposite bolts all the time. NEVER tighten that in a circular fashion "Go around" . Tighten the pan bolts to 10 ft lbs.

Wipe the pan off and all the bolts too.

Orange o-ring was found right ?

TC drain plug and black plug replaced ?

All pan bolts tightened ?

Now pour 6-7 qts into the dipstick tube. Replace the battery ground and start the car. Check for leaks, this is why you should wipe everything down.

If you are leak free turn off the car, remove everything from under it,check under the tires and safely lower it on the ground.

Now add 4 more qts to the dipstick tube, Run the transmission thru each gear position with a "1" count at each step. Work from P to 1 and back to P this way.

Add the remaining fluid as necessary.

Wipe the dipstick off before getting a reading. Do this with the car running and in Park. Always trust the lower reading side as the dipstick may "scrape" fluid off the tube on it's way down and give you a false reading.

Now go take a short test drive and check for proper shifting and operation.

Return to your work space and check the fluid and for leaks again.

Now get on a routine of checking for leaks and fluid level until your sick and tired of doing so.

Any new fluid remaining is to be used for a power steering fluid replacement. You can use a turkey baster or any other acceptable suction device to remove fluid from the reservoir. Mercon V is rated and labeled by Ford for both Transmission and Power Steering applications.

Remove fluid from the reservoir with the car off and replace with new, Start car and turn the wheels full left and full right 2 times. Lather rinse repeat.
    Last edited by Rizzo; 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM. Reason: 199X ? ..... Crap ...

Awesome
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I screwed up the title... Can you change it to 1992-2001.

Thanks .

Comment

Boxes have the drain plug as well. Basically the same procedure, though I'm not going to swear the socket sizes are all the same. Crankshaft bolt on a 302 needs a 15/16" socket, but the rest is probably the same, or close enough for government work.

One little mention, on the AOD sometimes a plastic doohicky that looks important is found in the bottom of the pan. Its not important. It just means the trans has never been serviced before. The plastic doohicky is a plug used during assembly to close off the trans dipstick hole. When the dipstick is inserted, the plug is knocked into the pan where it stays until someone throws it out. AODs also do not have a magnet in them from the factory, however adding one is not a bad idea.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My Dad's '99 P71 does not have a torque converter drain plug. Original transmission.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The AODE's and 4R70W's that i've dealt with have also had those yellow little plastic doohickies.

A deep pan is also pretty sweet.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

What's the best interval for changing the fluid and filter on an AOD? Transmission was rebuilt last November.

Comment

I was told 30k by my trans guy and the official Ford bible in front of me agrees with that in the severe usage chart.

If you want to look into it further though, it says that 30k change is only if the car gets more than 5000 miles a month in constant stop and go conditions. Anything else, and you never have to change it. I call BS on that, and just follow the severe service schedules since they more accurately represent real life conditions.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think the trans has about 10k miles on it, since the rebuild. So from the severe thing, the trans is overdue for a service?

Comment

severe duty change schedule is every 30k, so no you're not overdue.

Comment

Working...
                    X