My 1968 T-bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1968 T-bird

I was browsing my photobucket and found some pics of it when I first bought it. It hasn't moved in over a year now, but I do go out and start it periodically. Honestly, it was probably a bad investment, as it has a lot of problems, and needs some rust repair. Electrical gremlins everywhere, passenger side rear inner fender is just some pop-riveted sheet metal, frame has 2 ventilation holes, front suspension needs to be fully rebuilt, and that's just the start of the problems. I wanted a nice old car that was not a super common thing ie: any mustang, but was still easy to work on. Something I could drive and fix up as I go along. Unfortunately, I bit off way more than I can chew.

It was a 1 or 2 owner car (I think the old guy I bought it from bought it as a trade in) with 70k on it. It's had an amateur paint job and some body work done at some point in it's life. Was rustproofed when new, but 40 years in Buffalo will kill even the best of cars. The 429 will vaporize the right rear at will, even though it probably hasn't had a tune up in 10 years.

I don't want to hack job this car. No "no-parking sign" floor pans, and no cheap ass parts. It's not really in the way, so I pretty much have decided it's going to be a very long term project. Before I really start doing a lot to this car, I'd rather finish working on my box, or buy a better off one to start with than mine is. Once that is done, I'll hopefully have a nice reliable DD, and can put all my efforts into this thing. Ya, I know it will only lead to tears. I'm sure one of you guys know more about it than me, and any info is appreciated. Well anyways, here are some pics for you to enjoy.

Can see my poor ol' 92 in this pic

The front end makes me jizz my pants

All the gauges work except the clock

All original

The heart

Owners manual and misc.

Ass is equally jizzarific
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

It looks damn good just sitting in the pictures. To be honest after reading your description BEFORE scrolling down to see pics I was expecting a total POS but the pictures make it out to look like a great car.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That's a good looking car!

I've always wanted a 64 ot 65 t-bird myself. Nearly traded my wrecker for one some years ago, but decided it was too much of a hack job once I got a closer look at it. (bondo, etc) Anyway, I hope this is one project that doesn't lead to tears.

GS
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

wow that's nice!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you have the welder for it (and the skills) fix those fram "ventilation holes" as soon as you can. It's about the only issue that can really write off a car just sitting there. I've seen a few bigger cars that were in long-term storage have their frames crack, which bends the shit out of pretty much everything from chrome to door frames to roofs, you get the idea.

That said, that's a really nice car. I actually prefer those to the earlier 60s ones. They just look so menacing yet clean.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Hey my car has pop riveted sheet metal on it, nothing wrong with that. That t bird looks pretty nice in the pics though.
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

oh man i love it!
              Lets Go Pens!

Comment

That does look nice, not at all what I was expecting either (after reading your description).
                I always liked the large T-birds.
                Former panther owner
                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                  Hey my car has pop riveted sheet metal on it, nothing wrong with that.
                  Well so does my panthers floor, but random pieces of metal with bondo slapped on it is not my idea of good bodywork.

The car isn't really as bad as I make it sound, but looks can be deceiving. If I keep telling myself it's in worse shape than it is, I don't feel bad about not working on it.

The car isn't optioned very well but has a few things. Power windows (that don't work), push button AM radio with 3 speakers (don't work), rear defroster (has it's own little blower motor that works great) and that's about it. Straight bench, no a/c (good thing in my mind), manual locks etc.

Like I said, it's not as bad as it may sound, but the pictures make it look better than it does. Here's some more anywho

Found this beauty behind the rear seat
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Hey my car has pop riveted sheet metal on it, nothing wrong with that. That t bird looks pretty nice in the pics though.
                    Give it a few years. You'll see.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

That don't look like a bad car man.

Comment

Originally posted by moneypit View Post
                        Give it a few years. You'll see.
                        Well I shall deal with that when it comes along, I dont know how to weld, but my dad used to do body work for a living, and this usually worked out well for him. Of course this isnt half assed either, I get what you guys mean and all. You cant tell there is anything there, and the bondo is not caked on, but anyway I digress, I shall see for myself I guess.
                        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

that's a nice looking t bird zach

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Well I shall deal with that when it comes along, I dont know how to weld, but my dad used to do body work for a living, and this usually worked out well for him. Of course this isnt half assed either, I get what you guys mean and all. You cant tell there is anything there, and the bondo is not caked on, but anyway I digress, I shall see for myself I guess.
                            I don't mean to rip on you, it just that when i've seen riveted body repairs, the rivets eventually start to work loose, the bondo cracks, water gets in, then the edge that's holding the whole thing on rusts off leaving you a hole twice as big as you started with. I hope your method holds up, but I'm skeptical.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Nice car
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X