No announcement yet.

Buying a whale. What years are worthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get 04 or 05. 05 had an external mounted antenna though. i believe the 05 had a tach too. don't quote me on that.

2000 HPP Mods
    15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
    9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Im also getting my first whale. So far i think the 04 is the best, especially the p71. BTW werent there two engines for that year. I noticed it on the autozone website.
      2004 Ford Crown Victoria P71 (Frost-Bite)

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

One engine, but different engine code. The big difference on the police cars is they got a better airbox and MAF (Marauder parts actually) and a different air intake tube along with dual exhaust standard. I think it was good for 15 hp officially.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The drive by wire isn't bad at all. Pretty sure my '05 F150 has it and I can't tell the difference between it and my Explorer. Just like with a hydraulic clutch versus a cable clutch... you acclimate to the characteristics.
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

My brother's '04 F150 and my Mom's Beetle both have DBW,and it is highly noticeable to me. You can jump on and off the gas real fast, and nothing happens.

In time you'd get used to it, but it is quite unusual going from something without DBW, to something with it.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
              My brother's '04 F150 and my Mom's Beetle both have DBW,and it is highly noticeable to me. You can jump on and off the gas real fast, and nothing happens.

In time you'd get used to it, but it is quite unusual going from something without DBW, to something with it.
              I'd have to say the same. Not all DBW's are created equally, but they all piss me off. Not so much in an auto, but in a manual car they suck.

Comment

Originally posted by srv14624 View Post
                Im also getting my first whale. So far i think the 04 is the best, especially the p71. BTW werent there two engines for that year. I noticed it on the autozone website.
                You were probably seeing the 4.6 gasoline engine, and the 4.6 compressed natural gas engine.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yeah I just figured that out

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

Newest car we have is a 99. DBW is a scary concept, and is that why the toyota tundras are being recalled, My bro said the pedals were sticking to the floor at WOT so to speak.
                    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                      Newest car we have is a 99. DBW is a scary concept, and is that why the toyota tundras are being recalled, My bro said the pedals were sticking to the floor at WOT so to speak.
                      Pirate posted a thread on this somewhere in here I think.

Back to whales, I'm having a hard time finding a P71 in my price range that will satisfy my OCD tendencies. As much as I like buckets, I think I like having somewhere to rest my arm even more.

I need to look harder. Just this morning I was on my way to pick up a minty Town and Country until I found out at the last minute that it had been sold.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                        Pirate posted a thread on this somewhere in here I think.

Back to whales, I'm having a hard time finding a P71 in my price range that will satisfy my OCD tendencies. As much as I like buckets, I think I like having somewhere to rest my arm even more.

I need to look harder. Just this morning I was on my way to pick up a minty Town and Country until I found out at the last minute that it had been sold.
                        No Toyota's have floor mats that have like failing clips or something and they are sliding and wedging in the gas pedal...

And yeah torquelover thats why I got the grand marq. I couldn't find any decent P71's for a decent price. I'd find a beat to shit 1999 white one with 200k mi for like $1200 or a nice 2003 one for like $8000 still with over 100k. Only after I bought my car did I find some nice small-town P71's with 80K miles for $4-5k
                        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
                          No Toyota's have floor mats that have like failing clips or something and they are sliding and wedging in the gas pedal...

And yeah torquelover thats why I got the grand marq. I couldn't find any decent P71's for a decent price. I'd find a beat to shit 1999 white one with 200k mi for like $1200 or a nice 2003 one for like $8000 still with over 100k. Only after I bought my car did I find some nice small-town P71's with 80K miles for $4-5k
                          I guess im lucky. I saw the same thing too with p71s until i saw mine.

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

Originally posted by Cable Guys FGMQ View Post
                            I talked to a PA State Trooper on the 03 & up models the steelies from 03 to 05`s has cracked for rims 06 & up are the best for rims,, But on the 03`s they had rear end problems being the 1st year on the 2nd generation Whales 04 to present is the way to go,, But I own the 1st generation Whale on the old plateform 98 to 02 & I tend to like them better for the deep dish rims like the HPP`s ,, but both generations are great Panthers overall..
                            I drive a 2003 P71 and I have not had any problems at all. I love it.I will be keeping the steel wheels because they remind me of the old 60s and 70 musscle cars.
                            1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Thank God. Jesus must love you, to have some other poor schmuck buy it out from under you. Those minivans are heaps.

Comment

I'd completely missed this comment ....

:jawdrop:

Need some of us to stop by for some counseling and intervention? :smirk:

BTW, a couple weeks ago I found myself stopped for a while in a little town that had a whale Grand Marquis as one of their patrol cars. I found that vaguely amusing for some reason.
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X